• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AAR: Combat Carbine Teamwork, March 2

There was nothing wrong with the SCAR itself, it was just the wrong platform for the student in question. The SCAR is long and heavy, compared to some 16” AR’s I have built and seen. The FN wasn’t the right gun for the student that brought it. A shorter LOP may have helped a lot, and the weight was an issue as the day wore on.

I weighed 2 AR’s that I have in the safe; one is a build that my daughter and I did for her, and the other is a DDv7LW that has had a few upgrades done by me. They both weighed roughly what the SCAR-16S weighs naked, but they were equipped with slings, optics, and lights.

So, nothing wrong with the SCAR-16S, it just wasn’t the right platform for the student that brought it. I am currently working with her and her husband to modify one of their existing AR’s to better fit her.

I don’t think she will have any issues with a properly outfitted 16” AR, but if she does, I’m going to talk to her about building a 11.5” pistol with a sturdy brace.

I’ve had a lot of SCAR’s of both flavors in my courses over the years, in everything from Combat Carbine to my 1,000yd Basic Precision Rifle Course. I’ve only ever seen one that had a problem, a SCAR-16, but I did not attempt to diagnose what the issue was. For all I know, it was not properly maintained, or it was poorly modified, or the user was inducing the malfunctions.
For the money you'd spend on a SCAR16, you can build/buy a really nice lightweight AR15, add a LAW folder (if needed), AND put a nice optic on it.

Back
Top Bottom