• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Abandon Houses

KSouth

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
Ok I know we got some real estate gurus on here. My question?? With the current market like it is (way out of my budget) how may one find info on how to buy an abandoned house. There’s a few here and there that look salvageable around. And given my line of work, I can fix about anything. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ODT

Find a house that you like locally that nobody is living in, find the property records and try to reach out the owners.

It seems even junk houses are selling for crazy prices right now.

will have to find out if they are actually abandoned or just "investments". investment firms and forign buyers bought up so many houses as hedges that somethign that looks abandoned could be owned by a billion dollar corp.

Ok I know we got some real estate gurus on here. My question?? With the current market like it is (way out of my budget) how may one find info on how to buy an abandoned house. There’s a few here and there that look salvageable around. And given my line of work, I can fix about anything. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ODT
I'm not a gurus. I'd hate to do this but, every month a county will have auctions on the front court house steeps. Auctioning off real estate that haven't paid property taxes, usually for years. These are usually very run down properties. At least it's something to think about. In times like these it's about the only way I could afford to buy a place

You could try squatting in the home and attempt to “buy” it that way. Most states have a lot of protections in place for squatters.
Wasn't there a member here who had someone squatting on his property or maybe they stopped paying rent and it took forever to get them evicted or removed?

Ok what I have found
The owners both have passed away. 2019 when the owners passed away. They had 4 children and a few grandkids. None live close. Property taxes are paid so someone knows about it. It’s all grown up around and needs some TLC. I’m not on FB or any other media crap. Don’t own a computer to look crap up. The info I do have came from an obituary that my bro-n-law found. So... where to go from here??

Wasn't there a member here who had someone squatting on his property or maybe they stopped paying rent and it took forever to get them evicted or removed?
Deal is if someone has lived in a location to receive mail, they're considered a resident. This only takes 2-3 weeks. So usually you give them 30 days to get out in writing and document it. If that doesn't work, then you go to the court house and have an eviction notice served. That gives them 30 more days. If that doesn't work, show up with a Deputy and an eviction crew and move them out on the 30th day. Usually by the time most get around to this point the resident has had 4 months or more without paying rent

Ok what I have found
The owners both have passed away. 2019 when the owners passed away. They had 4 children and a few grandkids. None live close. Property taxes are paid so someone knows about it. It’s all grown up around and needs some TLC. I’m not on FB or any other media crap. Don’t own a computer to look crap up. The info I do have came from an obituary that my bro-n-law found. So... where to go from here??

You contact the children, tell them that you are interested in buying and go from there. You will be making things a lot easier for them, since they live far away, so hopefully they will give you a good deal for not having to deal with it. Or, there will probably be one family member who “knows what they got” and will not accept below the value on Zillow. BTDT

Back
Top Bottom