• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"AC just needs a charge"

rOmiLaYu

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
244   0
Reaction score
Just stop it. No it doesn't. An AC system is not designed to need recharging. It's not a cell phone battery. If it "just needs a charge," it has a leak, which means it's broken....or worse off, it has a faulty compressor or condenser or evaporator or whatever else it is. Do people really fall for that? "Oh, it just needs a charge? That's no biggie." We all know you're slimy and we all know it doesn't just "need a charge." So please, just stop it and say "The AC doesn't work."

Thank you, all. :ranger:

Well, that’s kinda harsh.
I just spent a month trolling through craigslist and autotrader...and to a certain extent our own classifieds section trying to buy a car. Finally ended up doing so, but the amount of "AC needs charging. 3XX,XXX miles, I know what I got $20K" rust buckets have been exhausting. :faint:

You can charge it but then see what happens.
You're absolutely right, but why would I? If it "needs a charge" then it's leaking or broken. Saying that "it needs a charge" is either being willfully disingenuous or painfully ignorant; and in either case, it's not someone from whom I want to buy a car.

I have been going through the same thing as well. Looking for an older beater 4x4. An when I hear, "It just needs a recharge which shouldn't cost much"...which explains why your 1988 1500 has not had a recharge in 20 years bud, price it out to repair and recharge.

I may be the odd duck, but I have had reasonable luck with recharging systems on cars that I own.

Generally 5-6 yr old cars, a $35 kit from wallyworld has gotten them back cold for several years.

Also have had to replace compressor, drier, lines, etc on others I have owned.

That said, if I am buying and the AC is out, then I give it a hard pass.

Back
Top Bottom