• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Academy $170 Home Defense Shotgun

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I have played with this shotgun and for the money show me a better HD shotgun? For those on a tight budget strongly consider this pump gun.

It's made in China, its bolt screams Benelli and it's a dang good deal for someone who wants a backup or really wants their pistol to be a back up to artillery.

upload_2016-12-30_18-46-13.png

This is the nicer version of the 320 with fiber optic sight and winged protected rear sight.

It's hard not to give this a shot, for less than $200.

Hey I thought why not and did the research. If you don't mind it's made in P.R.C. it's a helluva deal for anyone who wants a boom stick.

One of my office managers wanted a home defense gun but didn't want spend over $350. I hooked her up with a 320 with the better sights in 20 gauge with some HD buckshot and a 100 rounds of training ammo for less than $250.

Dang nice shotty!!!

She lit it up with minimal training, like a duck to water and pity the fool who breaks in her home.

IMG_0575.JPG

It's hard not to give this a shot, for less than $200.
I had one last year that I scored used for $100.00 so it was impossible not to buy it. It was okay for its price point and intended use. But I've almost always had some variation of Mossberg and just prefer that. Now even at this price in the ad it's a deal that's hard to pass up. If they had one in 20 I'd have to get one for my older daughter.
Out of all the Chinese shotguns on the market I really like the Pardner pump. I like it being an 870 knockoff. I had NEF version about two years ago and wish I'd kept it.

I'd pickup one of the (Mossberg) Maverick 88 models for $199 from Georgia Gun Store, 7+1 rounds and compatible with most of Mossberg 500 parts.

I'd pickup one of the (Mossberg) Maverick 88 models for $199 from Georgia Gun Store, 7+1 rounds and compatible with most of Mossberg 500 parts.

That's a good option too and keeps the dolla in country.

However, I have a Mossy 500, Remington 870 as well as several other brands/models of boom sticks. The Mossy 500 is a good gun. The stamped metal internal parts are bit rough and lack smooth finish but work. I polished mine up it's smoother and seems to run easier. It's been pulling HD duty for close to 25 years or so.

I have picked up a Maverick and worked the action and Jeepers, I though the Mossy needed some breaking in. I'm sure the Maverick would settle in but...

The Stevens 320 IMO is more refined, polished a bit more and runs really smooth right out of the box and gets better after a box of shells or two (25 ea.). The rotary bolt is neat, mildly polished and I dare say looks like a Benelli bolt? It's said to be a Winchester 1300 close copy.

I'd like to shoot both side by side to make a fair assessment though.

Benelli-Crio-inertia-mechanism.jpg

The Winchester bolt

www.gennlab.com_4_win_1300_Bolt.jpg

I've never owned a real 870 but lots of folks swear by them like the GA DOC . When they picked their shotgun brand way back when one of the stipulations was it had to have a steel receiver. So that knocked Mossberg and I think Winchester out of the running. But I prefer the controls on the Mossberg over the 870 and it's clones. You can work the safety and the slide release on Mossbergs without moving your trigger hand.
As far as the Stevens goes yeah when I saw the bolt face I assumed it was a Winchester copy. Hell they make another one that's an Ithaca copy. And there's one version of the 320 that's an Academy exclusive with FDE furniture. It looks pretty damn good especially considering I usually don't like that Benelli style pistol grip stock. And the ghost ring sights help a lot too.

I've never owned a real 870 but lots of folks swear by them like the GA DOC . When they picked their shotgun brand way back when one of the stipulations was it had to have a steel receiver. So that knocked Mossberg and I think Winchester out of the running. But I prefer the controls on the Mossberg over the 870 and it's clones. You can work the safety and the slide release on Mossbergs without moving your trigger hand.
As far as the Stevens goes yeah when I saw the bolt face I assumed it was a Winchester copy. Hell they make another one that's an Ithaca copy. And there's one version of the 320 that's an Academy exclusive with FDE furniture. It looks pretty damn good especially considering I usually don't like that Benelli style pistol grip stock. And the ghost ring sights help a lot too.

My Remington 870 is a 20 gauge and 43 years old. When I was 9 hunting rabbits I missed and had to hand feed the 2nd round (Dad only let me hunt with one shell in the gun), with gloves and in freezing temperatures, I did not seat the shell in the tube fully and it popped backed locking the gun up and ending my pursuit of my rabbit.

It was a long, flustrating walk back to the house, where Dad looked at it and unscrewed the tube cap, pried the metal piece allowing the tube spring, to spring to freedom, thus allowing the shell to drop free. It was a PITA and one reason why I don't like them for HD use. They are generally finished nicer and smoothed up more though out of the box-or use to years ago.

Now that model 37 Ithaca copy, if it can be slam fired, would make me part some cabbage for it. I'll have to check it out.

OBTW for those who wanted to see the rough insides of a Mossy 500 polished up to run smoother and correct a malfunction issue I traced to heavy slug recoil-finger bumping pump release here it is: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/mossberg-500a-issue.241115/

Back
Top Bottom