• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Academy $170 Home Defense Shotgun

My Remington 870 is a 20 gauge and 43 years old. When I was 9 hunting rabbits I missed and had to hand feed the 2nd round (Dad only let me hunt with one shell in the gun), with gloves and in freezing temperatures, I did not seat the shell in the tube fully and it popped backed locking the gun up and ending my pursuit of my rabbit.

It was a long, flustrating walk back to the house, where Dad looked at it and unscrewed the tube cap, pried the metal piece allowing the tube spring, to spring to freedom, thus allowing the shell to drop free. It was a PITA and one reason why I don't like them for HD use. They are generally finished nicer and smoothed up more though out of the box-or use to years ago.

Now that model 37 Ithaca copy, if it can be slam fired, would make me part some cabbage for it. I'll have to check it out.

OBTW for those who wanted to see the rough insides of a Mossy 500 polished up to run smoother and correct a malfunction issue I traced to heavy slug recoil-finger bumping pump release here it is: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/mossberg-500a-issue.241115/
My old landlord back in Perry is a hardcore 870 fan. He swears that Mossbergs won't shoot straight. And I've heard that before over the years. He bought a couple of shotguns from a bait and tackle that was going out of business recently. One of them was a Smith and Wesson 1000P that I bought off of him. And in some ways you could say I ruined it. It was a loosely based 870 copy that most 870 parts would NOT work with.

From this...
IMG_20161211_203001756.jpg
To this...
IMG_20161229_191545569.jpg

Back
Top Bottom