• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Academy fires employee who stopped gun thief

But what can he sue for? Flo-rida is a right to work state and he clearly violated the terms of his employeement, however irrational they may be. Even his lawyer in the article didn't mention a suit.
He could argue he was defending himself and others from imminent harm by preventing a thief to get away with guns and ammo and had to take action due to Academy's apparent negligent inability to prevent such a crime. Tenuous? Perhaps. But you know they'd settle for a material amount to not get further embarrassed.

Back in 90’s my brother worked for Home Depot in Tallahassee, FL. and they had a very similiar policy and also would not prosecute shoplifters. One day an employee tried to stop a guy from loading up his truck with chainsaws that were stacked outside and he got fired. After that the employees said **** it, if that’s what Home Depot wants then so be it.

Word got out on the street and the number one stolen items became 30 gallon hot water heaters and power tools. Contractors that were building apartments would send the workers in, load up a dolly and walk right out and nobody said a word.

He could argue he was defending himself and others from imminent harm by preventing a thief to get away with guns and ammo and had to take action due to Academy's apparent negligent inability to prevent such a crime. Tenuous? Perhaps. But you know they'd settle for a material amount to not get further embarrassed.
Maybe...but when the lawyer says "we ain't suing," that's pretty telling.

Maybe...but when the lawyer says "we ain't suing," that's pretty telling.
"Hobbs told Fox News that they are “exploring” their “options” but at this point, no lawsuit has been filed. At the moment, he said they’re more concerned with “trying to protect his rights”

I guess we'll see.....

And what if that stolen firearm ends up at a crime scene of a family member or a friend, where the gun was used to shoot or murder said family member or friend?
Now I believe that would be some "skin off your butt"! How would you now feel about just letting someone steal anything, including a weapon?

About the same as the QT employee that sold a man 5 gallons of gas, which he burned a house with a family of six while they slept?:thumb:

Personally I will never feel responsible for other's actions, but that's just me.:becky:

This is terrible. The guy has a wife and two young kids. They’ve had to put their house up for sale because of him losing his job.
I'm hoping that this guy gets a much better job due to the publicity he is receiving. Unemployment rate is low so I'm sure some right minded business owner will hire him.

Back
Top Bottom