• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Accidental Discharge While Waiting In Line At RK Gun Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flippen is cool with me. I really don't have problem with it.

What I DO have a problem with is when they rush out from behind the table, chase you down asking, "What you got there on your shoulder? Are you sellin' it? What is it?" Like they don't have any idea what a Russian Capture re-dip looks like from 25 yards away. Feigned ignorance by a "dealer" is disingenuous at best, down right douchebaggery at worst.

The Russian captured a bunch so what was it?

In the military, I was taught to clear the weapon then drop the hammer so the "springs are not compressed".

I do not do that any more as I have learned not everything taught by the military is correct.

Yeah... this is a myth. It's the compression cycles that wears out the springs-- the number of compression/decompression cycles. Once it's compressed, leaving it 20 years won't matter.

The military may tell folks that story to get them to comply, when the real reason is for safety.

Officer I struck up a conversation with said the guy had a 5 round D/A revolver in his pocket. Guy thought that he had emptied the cylinder, but there was one round in it. He was fishing out of his pocket, it goes off, and grazes a guy next to him on the ass. The guy was not injured. They brought them inside, the guy refused treatment, and did not press charges. Said the guy that was grazed couldn't have been more understanding. The A/D guy was kicked off the property.

O.K. confirmed revolver guy here.

I'm not buying "thought he emptied the cylinder." It's pretty much a binary action -- you have 5 holes or you don't. I mean it's not Glock where AD are SOP.

PLUS if he only had one round, the ONE round was out of battery, and someone had to pull the trigger to bring the round in to battery and fire. Unless he was carrying a cocked revolver in his pocket (which I probably is possible), you can't carry a revolver "cocked and locked" normally. One of the safety features of a revolver.

A whole lot of DA in one package here.

I'm not buying "thought he emptied the cylinder." It's pretty much a binary action -- you have 5 holes or you don't. I mean it's not Glock where AD are SOP.

PLUS if he only had one round, the ONE round was out of battery, and someone had to pull the trigger to bring the round in to battery and fire. Unless he was carrying a cocked revolver in his pocket (which I probably is possible), you can't carry a revolver "cocked and locked" normally. One of the safety features of a revolver.

I'm just repeating what the officer told me. Believe what you wish.

I'm just repeating what the officer told me. Believe what you wish.

And I'm not disputing that numb nuts told the officer that's what happened.

Remember that the vast majority of today's LEO have never qualified with a revolver, and aren't really familiar with how they work.

I have seen people point the barrel up, swing out the cylinder and let the rounds fall out. They usually notice one or two got stuck when they flip it back over to put more shells in it. If he just dumped and never looked at it before closing it could have happened.

Still - Failed to verify action and loading device was empty
Failed to keep finger off trigger
Failed to keep gun pointed in a safe direction (he was close on this one)

I pretty much stopped going to gunshows. No real deals except people walking around, I might as well just check here. The best is reloading stuff. You would see a table full of powder during the crunch. $35/lb, no wonder they still have it. $50/brick of primers, open worn out box of bullets for more than Midway.

Back when it was a bunch of questionable guys selling crates of milsurp or parts kits they were interesting and fun.

In the military, I was taught to clear the weapon then drop the hammer so the "springs are not compressed".

I do not do that any more as I have learned not everything taught by the military is correct.
Depending on the branch of military the training is catered to the lowest common denominator. I'm not talking about my Marines either. :)

tsk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom