• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Accidently screwed in to PVC pipe in garage

Trailrider

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
117   1
Reaction score
Man I feel like a dummy. I was hanging some shelves on the wall in the garage. Using the stud finder and it was acting a little funny in one spot(would beep like it was a stud for about 2-3 inches so I wasn't quite sure where it was). Figured it would be OK and guessed the center and put a 2" screw in. Missed the actual stud about an inch to the right. That's when I heart the hissing noise. I pulled the screw out and immediately saw water seeping out. Noticed it was warm to the touch and ran inside to shut off the hot water heater outlet valve. Leak stopped and I cut out a small square in the wall to assess the damage. It's about an 1/2" PVC pipe that runs to the hot water outlet in the laundry room.

I put a temporary patch on it, I had some plumbers epoxy and some rubber and a hose clamp. However I'm trying to figure out the best way to permanently fix without calling in the plumber. I thought about using a Shark Bite slip on but the hole is roughly an inch to the right of a stud so not enough room to cut out there and place the slip on as I believe they require a full inch to lock. Pipe is running through the stud there. So I don't want to cut the stud itself.

I'm assuming only option is to cut out more sheet rock on the other side of the stud, cut out a section of pipe and run a new section with couplers on each side? I was hoping to make it quick and easy but the section I screwed in to won't leave enough room for a quick Shark Bite fix. I don't think the slip on would work right if I left that section of pipe with the screw hole in it and it would end up just leaking again.

Long story short I am trying to find the cheapest permanent option that wont have me having to cut out the stud or more sheetrock than needed. And lesson learned!

giphy.gif

Take a couple of pics. Might be easy enough to use a standard coupler with PVC glue.
I'll try to get one later, in my haste I didn't snap a pic last night. Back at work now.

I did see a YouTube video where somebody did that, grabbed a coupler, cut a small section out length wise, and PVC glued it over the hole and put a clamp on it. Wasn't sure how permanent that would hold though. Or did you mean just cut the pipe there and put coupler between?

Back
Top Bottom