• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Accurate 5744 for .223

XD9SC

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
Last weekend went into a gun shop looking for components to reload 223 and walked out with 1lb of Accurate 5744(only powder they had that was in my manual for 223).

This is my first time loading rifle rounds so I am being overly cautions about my steps.

In doing some research it seems 5744 is not particular suited for 223.

My manual has 16.8 gr for a 55 bullet.
I have my first 10 rounds loaded.

Any one have experience loading 5744 in 223? Any thing I should look out for?

I'm guessing the load density is quite low.

Yeah that is my biggest concern. It fills half the case.

VoteShooter said:
Was that a starting load or a max load, go easy when developing a load, good luck and remember safety, safety, safety........ Might want to start at the low end and slowly go up...

It is the starting load.

Don't use it...
Google a burn rate chart... AA2230 is a fairly fast 223 powder, it's way above 2230,
Find a powder between 2230 and varget and try to find one of those.

You will quickly see pressure spikes and depending on how accurate your powder dispensing is... You are going to have quite a velocity spread... That equates to poor accuracy.

He is concerned with the burn rate, that is listed as the fastest Accurate Arms (AA 5744) recommended for .223 REM. A double charge of this powder and you made yourself a pipe bomb with a stock.

However, it is very economical (low weight charge). Don't use less than recommended (reports of excess pressures) and I personally would avoid pushing this powder to the high end. It should make a decent plinking/hunting load.

Do not! use any bullet heavier than 55 grains, listed as the max bullet weight for this fast burning powder. 16.8 grains of powder is what I have as starting for 53-55 grain bullets. Increase by a 0.5 grain until you get a nice grouping then I'd stop, avoiding getting a max charge, listed as 18.7 grains in my reference.

I used some AA 2230 (slowest listed for .223 REM) and liked it but with an old powder measure the fine granules, which meter like water, found their way out of the measure and onto my bench top. A bit larger granule powder and easy peasy for my old measure.

Don't use it...
Google a burn rate chart... AA2230 is a fairly fast 223 powder, it's way above 2230,
Find a powder between 2230 and varget and try to find one of those.

You will quickly see pressure spikes and depending on how accurate your powder dispensing is... You are going to have quite a velocity spread... That equates to poor accuracy.

fz1boxer said:
wont cycle an ar or semi at that burn rate

Well this good to know. I guess I am back to searching around for some store that has a appropriate powder in stock.

Thanks for the input.

I have a dream that one day I will finally be able to load some 223 (only been waiting 6 months to find the right supplies).

Back
Top Bottom