• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Acid Reflux/ GERD

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
I’ve struggled with acid reflux for years 20+ years. Going from one medicine to the other with mixed results. My pain became so severe, I’ve decided to try a new approach. I’m worried about the long term effects of proton pump inhibitors, like nexium. I have a desire to get off meds. I’ve done a ton of research.

Im currently taking:
Vitamin E
Organic Honey
Manuka Honey
Aloe Vera
Olive oil
Grape seed oil
Grape seed extract
And
Grapefruit seed extract

Im eating smaller more frequent meals.
I’ve cut out soda, reduced sugar and carb intake and eating more fish, nuts, mussels and oysters, and less beef and chicken.

I’ve propped up my mattress. So my head and chest are elevated. And I go to bed hungry, with little left in my stomach. Try to stop eating at least 3 hours before bed.

I’ve also eliminated high acid foods- citrus and tomatoes.

It’s been a week so far so good. I’m only taking 20 mg a day of Nexium now ( I was up to 40mg as prescribed by an doc ) and hope to reduce that to 10 mg soon. I’m not perfect but I feel better and have not had a heart burn flare up yet and the dull pain in my gut is diminishing.

I’m also getting an appoint with a GI doc just to make sure there are no signs of cancer - or anything else - my pain was pretty awful.

I’ll keep this thread updated. If it works I’ll let you know and if I never update this thread again you will know to not follow my advice. Lol

I've been taking Pantoprozal (I think that's how you spell it) with the same problems that you have. My Dr. told me after a study done that long term use has some bad effects, she wanted to take me off it. It took 2 days to return to the bad heartburn that I didn't have for the 20 or more years I was on it. She didn't want to write a script, so I found a new Dr. I didn't want a new Dr. experimenting or changing things my previous almost lifetime Dr. that retired did that actually helped me feel as good as I do.

I take 40 mg of Pantoprazole daily (first AM) have for several years.

My Dr is Grybowski at Piedmont Fayette.

Annual endoscopy

bi annual colonoscopy

Food and drink do play a big role, fatty foods, spicy foods, peppermint, alcohol , fiber that creates abdominal pressure and pushes upward.

As ol Alan Jackson said , everything I love is killing me.

Good luck OP happy to answer any questions via PM if you have any.
Do go see a GI Doctor and get an endoscopy.

I've been taking Pantoprozal (I think that's how you spell it) with the same problems that you have. My Dr. told me after a study done that long term use has some bad effects, she wanted to take me off it. It took 2 days to return to the bad heartburn that I didn't have for the 20 or more years I was on it. She didn't want to write a script, so I found a new Dr. I didn't want a new Dr. experimenting or changing things my previous almost lifetime Dr. that retired did that actually helped me feel as good as I do.
That’s what I’ve been on Pantorozal, it caused me to have stomach pain. So I stopped on my own and went back to Nexium

Brown liquor and other strong spirits are horrible on the stomach..... just hold some bourbon under your tongue... feel that burning sensation... its eating up your stomach and your whole body for that matter...

Barretts esophogus precancerous cells here in the entrance to my stomach. Treated with "heat ablation" due to GERD. Had to have a fundiplication.....after training hard with a hostered handgun back in 07 (90 degree pivots on a treadmill) felt a sword go through my stomach.

Paresphogeal herniation, torn diapham and my stomach was pushed up into my thorasic cavity. Lovely. Took a year to start strangling my esophogus, 13 hrs of surgery to be gutted (adhestions connected liver, stomach and diaphram) and have the whole thing pulled down and stiched to my abdominal wall and another fundoplication. It sucked. 40mg of omeprosole daily. For the love of the sport. :)

Edit I eat an excellent diet of zero processed food, fresh veggies, lean meats and berries and flax, sunflower seeds, and almond flour and spinach for breakfast and have for decades. Somes it just is.

I was a daily Prilosec user. Even while taking Prilosec, I was popping Tums like candy and even then, still waking up in the middle of the night gagging and aspirating acid. It was horrible.

Then my wife put me on a strict, non processed food diet for a month. No sodas (I drink very little alcohol but a ton of diet sodas), no sugar, no refined flour etc. Basically a straight month of paleo type food…meat and vegetables only. It was miraculous! No Prilosec, no Tums and no acid for a full month. That was over a year ago. Since then I’m back to eating and drinking all the trash I did before but I only get reflux with spicy foods or when I eat a ton of bread, pastry or pasta. I occasionally “pregame” a meal with Tums when I eat spaghetti and garlic bread or go out for Mexican but that’s it. It was like a big reset or reboot. I haven’t taken Prilosec or aspirated in over a year. My acid production is minimal and controlled with just the occasional Tums. If the reflux comes back I guess I’ll do the month long paleo thing again. Crazy, but it worked.

Back
Top Bottom