• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Acres to Members Ratio

Sometimes progress is a real night mare... With today's leased property prices starting at $13.50 per acre to almost $20.00 an acre a 100:1 person is a little heavy on the hip, at that rate memberships should be at least $1350.00 per person to almost $2000.00 per member or more. Looks like a lot of hunting dues should be sky rocketing very quickly.

Reading some membership rules, no private stands, we're not gonna fix a stand and do the work and someone can be in my stand that would be a first and last time that experience would happen with me. We have been in a few of those type clubs, we would do the work all pre-season, fix the area, clear shooting lanes, trim the brush, limbs to make the surrounding area where you could see, have some lazy individual in the area we worked on, naw not me, the so-called president said we have done it this way for years it's ok, he explained, not with me not going to do all the work and some lazy guys going to hunt my stand. Stated to the president either my money back or we could make each and everyone of them want to give my money back. Told him he did not explain you work on an area, and it was going to be community club open stand that way, better put it in writing about hunting in that manner it if it was going to be run that way. People just showed up that others brought in, moms, pops, grandfathers, grandmothers, brothers kids, aunts, uncles, son-in-laws, daughter-in-laws, and daughters, someones boss, co-workers, it got dangerous and so we just thought outside the box. Not going to refund my money, no rules, no visitor rules, everyone doing what they wanted, drinking before going into and up all nite long. So who ever gets there first gets to hunt. Ok "HOMEY" can play that game. Would not or was not going to refund my money, here we go. Ask, one more time for refund because just trying to be able to hunt without someone in my stand, we bought, put together, brought into the woods and someone else is going to hunt it ok, no more Mr. Nize guy.

Called 10 guys who had been in the club before to hunt opening gun season day, $150.00 for the weekend, had them placed in stands before the others got up, went to the main road and awaited the riot to begin. There was screaming, cussing, almost fist fights, the so-called president was disturbed because his stand was occupied when he got to it. Told just some friends co-workers remember first come first served anyone can hunt anybody's stands, how's this working for you today? Oh, by he way the guys who hunted that weekend, were fore warned of the must be there before anyone else, they knew before they hunted. Amazing the president was ready to refund my money back offered me a check, said no we gave you cash, greenbacks, not a check, money order, gift card, he had to go around and took up a collection to give me my money back $650.00, we gave the guys who paid there weekend expense money to hunt every dime back, they were friends and knew this guy and had been treated the same way. Poetic justice "AIN'T IT SWEET". THAT WAS OVER 47 YEARS AGO, however we run into him every once in a while we smile at each other, even shake hands and even laugh about the no rules, rules and just hunt where ever. By the way he now has rules clearly stipulated, visitor policy, required written permission to hunt someone else's stand. No one can have a visitor now until after the 3rd weekend after opening gun season. Everything we explained to him, why should members do the work, and anybody could just invite, who, when and however many they want to. We call the rules "THE HOMEY DON'T PLAY THAT GAME RULES".

He now sees the value in rules, we do not hunt together anymore, that was a while back. We have and now run several clubs, rules that the members must sign they have read the rules, and has clear understand statement, if you break the rules you have dis-missed yourselfing you are immediately to pack your gear and go. Had two individuals try to break rules and get away with them and said it should be ok, and claimed it was alright found out very quickly it wasn't we carry copies of each members signed club rules and discipline that would take place.

Privileges, have responsibilities, responsibilities not followed have consequences, they are carried through with to the letter...

just a simple suggestion to consider if one is looking to hunt 100 acres to 1 person.

IF YOU DON'T STAND FOR SOMETHING, THEN WILL YOU JUST STAND FOR ANYTHING??

If a club has an open stand policy when anyone can hunt anywhere, how's that working for you when you do the work and someone else just takes advantage of it, sounds a little bit like some of our governments policies huh???

For the average terrain 100:1 is pretty good. Less than that and I can hunt thousands of acres of public land for $19.00 a year.

While I have my own land to hunt I rarely hunt it. I plan out my weekends and weeks around the WMA's and State Forest hunts... if you plan it right you can hunt alot of places for less then the the cost of a steak dinner.

We hunt 32:1 or we get the whole 64 if the other brother is not hunting. Jeff Waddell wrote a book "Hunting Booger Bottom" and I think that is the property beside ours as I recognize a lot of the landmarks. We have taken a lot of nice deer off the property and there is a 3 bed room lake house for when we want to take a nap and such. Life is tough hunting there.

ours is 45 to 1. Doable, has valleys, ridges hardwoods,pines.4 of the members are usually not there or stay close to camp because of health issues.

100:1 is probably ideal.

BUT the minimum that amount of land will cost a member anywhere north of Macon is $1500. Try getting that out of a group of "average" Georgia hunters.

Hunters as a group, those that don't have to put their name on the lease, haven't kept up with the escalation in lease prices.

We have offered 100 acres to potential members for the bare lease rate, no food plots, no mowing, for $1300 - people laugh at us.

They think land leases are cheap, they just need to find some land and try to lease it, lease, 1million + insurance for the land and made out to land owner, and any other amenities that may be available, electric, water, and septic...

Once they find out what the rules are the jack jawing begins... Then they want both sides of all the family to come for free, and raise sand when that is not available.

Life gets complicated after the age of 2 years old...

Back
Top Bottom