• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Actions have consequences.

Raydog

Default rank <1250 posts
Long live the Republic!
24   0
Reaction score
ChickenPrints.png

About 20 yr ago we had new concrete slab poured for porch.
The cat is long gone but his 5-6 paw prints are still in the concrete.
I was born in 1950 and grew up in my grandpa's house that had pine ridge poles for rafters. No water but for the well, coal heating and baths in a 3' galvanized tub. You could sweep the dirt from the floor through the cracks in the floorboards to the dirt below. That said, decades later my aunt who then owned the property was in the process of selling it in East Cobb County for a LOT of money. My mother asked me to go out to the well my grandpa built and try to save the foot prints she and the middle sister put in the wet concrete grandpa poured for the well base we used.

I loaded up a generator in my truck and put some extra concrete saw blades on my saw and started to get what momma wanted saved. It took a while of dusty, dusty cutting but I got that corner with the foot prints on it (now, nearing a hundred years old) and what I noticed after it came off and I lugged it to the truck was the absolute smoothness of the bottom side- perfect preparation. My grandpa did **** right. The underlayment on the ground where he poured that hand mixed concrete was as smooth as a baby's bottom. He never expected anybody to realize his craftsmanship but I was fortunate enough to realize that. My daughter still has that piece sitting on the mantle in her living room.

I was born in 1950 and grew up in my grandpa's house that had pine ridge poles for rafters. No water but for the well, coal heating and baths in a 3' galvanized tub. You could sweep the dirt from the floor through the cracks in the floorboards to the dirt below. That said, decades later my aunt who then owned the property was in the process of selling it in East Cobb County for a LOT of money. My mother asked me to go out to the well my grandpa built and try to save the foot prints she and the middle sister put in the wet concrete grandpa poured for the well base we used.

I loaded up a generator in my truck and put some extra concrete saw blades on my saw and started to get what momma wanted saved. It took a while of dusty, dusty cutting but I got that corner with the foot prints on it (now, nearing a hundred years old) and what I noticed after it came off and I lugged it to the truck was the absolute smoothness of the bottom side- perfect preparation. My grandpa did **** right. The underlayment on the ground where he poured that hand mixed concrete was as smooth as a baby's bottom. He never expected anybody to realize his craftsmanship but I was fortunate enough to realize that. My daughter still has that piece sitting on the mantle in her living room.
Awesome story! Glad you were able to save some memories!

That has to be the coolest thing I’ve read in a while!

Back
Top Bottom