• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

active shooter...what would you do?

sheep dog

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
270   0
Reaction score
Many of us on this site have a ccw. my question is this...if u were to find yourself in an active shooter event and were able to escape quickly yet saw people being slain, would u take the risk and engage the shooter or flee and let police handle when they arrive? or if u are able to get your family out safely, would u go back to engage the shooter or again, leave it to the cops and run the opposite way and leave with your family (with police present not on scene and people being shot by the mad man? thoughts?

Last edited:
We may not know what we would really do until in the situation. aside from being shot at by the active shooter, u have the potential danger of being shot by first responders depending on your demeanor and weapon position (holstered or drawn).

If I got out, **** no I'm not going back. I'm also not running looking for the guy either. When I can get a shot, I'll take it. When it's me or him, **** him. But I don't have a gwl to play hero.

Everything is relative to how the situation is unfolding. I'm sure most people carry a weapon because they want to be prepared to protect themself. Probably never expect to be in that type of situation but if you are point blank and able, why would you not try and stop the aggressor. However if the shooter is holding a pistol and you are 150 yards away, will you enter into the firing zone? I guess some people are braver than others or respond to a crisis in a better way. Regardless, I wouldn't call anyone a coward for not engaging the shooter if they were a safe distance away.

Never know until the moment arrives. That said if I had my ccw on me (almost always do) I would try to work to get a shot. Then again I might say f it and GTFO. It all depends on alot of factors, however I have never been one to run from a fight and if I thought I had a snowballs chance of dropping the shooter I would probably go for it.

Really to many variables.

If I was by myself and pinned down, I might take a shot, depending on the area, number of people etc. But more than likely I'll be GTFO if I can.

If my wife and kids are with me, we'll be GTFO with my pistol at ready just in case our escape route was cutoff by the shooter.

Back
Top Bottom