• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

active shooter...what would you do?

Think about this pretty much every time I'm out in public. I feel confident that with my background and training I'll respond however the circumstances dictate. What I won't be doing though is "sheltering in place" and waiting to be slaughtered like a defenseless sheep.

Many of us on this site have a ccw. my question is this...if u were to find yourself in an active shooter event and were able to escape quickly yet saw people being slain, would u take the risk and engage the shooter or flee and let police handle when they arrive? or if u are able to get your family out safely, would u go back to engage the shooter or again, leave it to the cops and run the opposite way and leave with your family (with police present not on scene and people being shot by the mad man? thoughts?
The right thing to do is take care of business,if you don't and no one else does people die you will have to live with that decision,save a life even if you endanger yours. Be ready for what happens next, keep you mouth shut until you speak to your retained lawyer be prepared to relinquish your weapon.you will see your family soon after .the more details you can give about your surroundings and events accurately the better you will be...

Last edited:
For 10 years, law-enforcement and security trainers have been telling the public that the plan during an active shooter scenario is to:

1-- run away.

2-- if you can't run, then you hide.

and

3-- if the bad guy finds your hiding spot you fight back out of desperation (and only with whatever improvised weapons you can find because they do not contemplate that any of us would be armed with a weapon ahead of time!)

But, after a number of active shooters were taken down (or retreated upon getting hands-on resistance from their would-be victims) at least some experts are advising that fighting back should be the first option rather than the last.

Quote from today's CNN news site:

The former assistant secretary for homeland security told CNN she’s “not saying everyone has it in them to engage a gunman, but [she’s] not sure that that should be the last option,” Kayyem said. “What we’ve seen in a lot of these active shooter cases now is that engagement with the shooter – trying to distract him, trying to demobilize him, trying to prevent him from reloading his gun – all of those things can help in minimizing the harm.”

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/31/us/run-hide-fight-active-shooting-guidance/index.html

The standard advice that all the authorities gave back in 2014 is being questioned today, so I would say "yes" everything that's old from this thread is relevant as background information, and so is everything new.

I'd argue that most of what the gov't said was irrelevant then, its just what you have tell people after you already told them all the places they can't legally be armed.

Run

Hide

Then...fight with a stapler, hymnal, or textbook when you're out if options.

Back
Top Bottom