• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adding 2" barrel extension to a 16" gun to make it a long gun

Minuteman_Gear

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
11   0
Reaction score
If I ad a 2" barrel extension to a Keltec sub 2000 will it be legal for me to conceal carry unloaded aka unchambered as an 18 yr old, or will it need to be permanently attached in some way?

Correct. I would like to make it legally a Long Gun. 18"+ barrel so it is legal to carry.

§ 16-11-126.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

§ 16-11-125.1.​

(4) "Long gun" means a firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:

Correct. I would like to make it legally a Long Gun. 18"+ barrel so it is legal to carry.

§ 16-11-126.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

§ 16-11-125.1.​

(4) "Long gun" means a firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:
I have no idea what long gun pertains to in that goobledygook

§ 16-11-126.

§ 16-11-125.1.​

I love the suspicious quotes in the ATF bull**** language.

In this case, my assumption would be that, just like a pistol and adding a stock, you'd need to meet the measurements by permanently attaching (pin and weld) the extension.

There is a great linear compensator I've used on the sub2k from kaw valley. Although I'd not pin and weld it to appease the ATF. It's just barely over 2" and will meet the requirements just have to find someone to pin and weld it.

18 year olds are not prohibited from possessing a hand gun or long in Georgia.

To carry a weapon (handgun or knife with a blade over 12 inches) outside of your own property, vehicle, home, business you need a Georgia Weapons License, unless you are actively serving in the US Military. To obtain a license you must be 21, or 18 and have completed military basic training and honorably discharged and not be a prohibited person in either case.

To purchase a handgun in Georgia you must be 21 and not a prohibited person.

So, to answer the question you didn’t really ask, you can carry a handgun or rifle or shotgun on your own property, in your car, at your business at 18 if you are not a prohibited person. You can carry a rifle or shotgun in public without a Georgia Weapons License at 18 if you are not a prohibited person.

A prohibited person is…..
  • people ineligible to possess a firearm under federal law
  • convicted felons
  • people with felony proceedings pending against them
  • fugitives from justice
  • those convicted of an offense involving unlawful manufacture or distribution of controlled substances or dangerous drugs
    people who have been hospitalized in a mental hospital during the last five years, adjudicated incompetent to stand trial, or adjudicated not guilty by reason of insanity
  • people who have had their weapons carry license revoked, or
  • those who have been convicted of specified crimes involving weapons.
    (OCGA § 16-11-129.)

Back
Top Bottom