• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice - DIY dirt/gravel driveway maintenance

Lightning8

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
171   0
Reaction score
Just bought house with acreage. Long dirt/gravel driveway. Not in bad shape but a couple of spots need work. Looking for some knowledge on what size tractor (or other equipment) and what implements are required to maintain a driveway constructed of dirt and gravel. Approximately 500 yards. Thanks

You could have a dump truck bring more #57. If they are good they can chain the tailgate to only slightly open then it will drop it level. Then in a pinch drag a weighted chain link fence section behind your truck. As stated a scrape blade behind a tractor is best.

and congrats on the house and acreage.

If I look for a tractor - what "size" tractor do I need. I have a Ram 1500 4x4 and a Kawasaki Mule also. Seeing references to box blade that can be pulled by an ATV?
You wont need anything massive, we have a 1970 3 cyl diesel with 33 HP that takes this and 6' bush hogging like its a nice stroll around the park and will pull a dual bottom plow and subsoiler but ive used smaller yanmars with the box blade just fine too but all depends on your other intended uses

If there are any hills in driveway don’t scrape it flat. To not wash out constantly it needs to be crowned and you can’t do a good job with out a scape blade that tilts and angles. If mostly level then not so important. Nearly any tractor in 25-35 hp + should do fine

Back
Top Bottom