• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for beginning 2 1911 builds

atscott

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
14   0
Reaction score
Hi all,

My son and I are both novice gun tinkerers. I've done a few moderate restorations and repairs, some of which he has helped with. We both want another 1911 and have decided to try and build custom guns from the ground up.

We both want 70 series, both in .45.

He wants an all steel full size blued gun. He still hasn't decided if he wants a classic type or more of a race gun setup.

I'm looking for an alloy frame commander with Bob tail cut. Leaning towards a wilson/nowlin cut for a ramped barrel.

We are still very much in the research phase. We have a few books and reference guides. I have a decent assortment of tools but know I'll need a few more specialized things. I have access to a small milling/lathe but little experience. I know I'll need a good set of stone files, some jigs, and possibly a few specialty bits.

We're both researching frame and slide manufacturers/dealers.

With our budget this will likely be a multi year project. I will post pics as we go but likely will be a slow progression.

Any advice on any of the above as well as stuff I may not have considered yet will be very welcome.

I believe STI makes all the parts to make a 1911 or 2011. Dont hold me to that name. I will have to look. By the time you all the money to build one you can buy a Dan Wesson. That's why I sent to converting off the shelf guns as and going through those with Wison Combat parts.

Check out Sarco Inc. online. They sell a variety of frames and parts at reasonable parts. I bought a new Para Ordinance frame from them for my first build. Found a matching new slide on Numrich for a great price.

There are a lot of good Youtube videos out there. Main internal parts will take light modifications; take your time fitting the safety with the hammer in the correct position.
Building one is a lot of fun and its great when you fire it the first time. Good luck.

Z2lwaHkuZ2lm.gif

Back
Top Bottom