• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for first firearm for a female shooter w/kids at home?

cantoncmd

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting my stepdaughter her first firearm(handgun) for Christmas. What is your advice for the first firearm for a female shooter w/kids at home? She has children ages 5-16, so safety is a concern. Obviously, safe storage of said firearm would be her responsibility. Should I look at a revolver, or semiauto? The next question is caliber 9mm, 38, 45? I guessing this may be her only handgun for a while and she may elect to get her carry permit, but for the time being I'm assuming it will be her only weapon for a while. So reliability, safety and ease of function would be big issues as well. Anyhow, fire away and let me know what you would suggest. Thanks.

It's hard enough to pick out one for yourself...even harder to pick one out for someone else. She needs to try several and then pick one she is comfortable with. Then as said above...train, train, train.

Agreed! I went through several to find one for my wife. Hopefully a 9mm works out, it's cheaper to shoot a lot!

Something with as many safety features has you can find (kids) if a semi. There is no substitute for training and being comfortable with the weapon you choose. Let her shoot a bunch as she may like something completely different than you are thinking. Women often are attracted to guns for different reasons than you and me.

Back
Top Bottom