• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for first firearm for a female shooter w/kids at home?

Glock 19 or 43. Hide it up high. I have very small hands. Hate all 380s, don't care for revolvers anymore... and I hate shot guns

So some of you believe a woman should not carry if they do not train? Some people may not train a lot but they can make a shot if someone breaks in. How many people have defended themselves successfully for a hundred years, and still to this day without any formal training? I'm sure some get hurt, but more often than not I'll bet their attacker isn't trained either. Being taught safety is top priority, and knowing how to operate the gun at a basic level is part of that. Beyond that, I can't see how facing a mugger or rapist without a gun is any less dangerous for a woman?

I realize it is better to train, but some women are not going to do serious training. That's the reality. Just like so many carriers would rather throw a .380 in their pockets instead of a 9mm in their waist band. Convenience. That's their choice.
Yep. You ask me if I want to go to the range and shoot one of the many I own, or if I want to go to the fabric store for new quilt material, well...... Or go to lunch with my girlfriends, kids, etc., well.......

My first carry gun was a Taurus 85 (.38 +P). I was most comfortable with that gun for a long time because it was easy to use. Put the bullets in, point and pull the trigger. I didn't like the exposed hammer, but I did carry it in my purse for years. Finally took the initiative to learn enough about guns to move up to a semi auto. My first were a Sig RCS ('cause, you know...pretty!) and an FNS-9, 17 rounds! I loved them both, and the FNS became my new purse gun. A year later I wanted to body carry, so I got a little Ruger .380. All you guys talked about how easy those things fit in your pockets, so I thought it would fit in mine. Wrong! Girls' pants pockets aren't the same. So that one ended up with my brother. I now have a Sig 938 that I carry IWB, and the FNS is still my purse gun.

I love the "gift certificate" idea. Or for Christmas, why not get her some range time with you? Your time and the time together would be precious to her. And take her somewhere and let her hold them all (we took my daughter to AO and we were there for hours before she made her selection). If your daughter gets the bug, she can get more and more later. But she will always remember her first, and she will remember your time together learning which one she wants.

View attachment 999013

...When it comes to letting women pick the gun that feels best to them at the gun shop, dry firing them once or twice each while aiming at the wall...

This is what many of them choose for comfortable carry and easy holding:
I have a TCP that I trust more than many of my other high end pistols. Best mouse gun there is.

Useless unless that isn't an option for EDC.
Un realistic training isn't training at all.
So helping someone master some of the basics of pistol marksmanship that forms the foundation of defensive shooting is useless?

So if I'm following your logic let's put a holster stuffed with G19 on her hip and let her start running the "El Presidente" drill....

What could go wrong with giving a woman with 0 experience a firearm for the first time ?
Horrible idea. Lol....
On thanksgiving, my mom cut her hand shooting my glock 26.... my husband was behind her and told her not to have her hand up high... but that goes to show you.... She's fired.

I think every new gun owner should write an essay on the 4 rules of gun handling. I was at the county range up in Adairsville and a guy unwrapped his weapon, loaded it and commenced to rattling off rounds during a cold range with people down range hanging targets.
Gun safety is something that can't be stressed enough and training should be mandatory for first time buyers. A minimum of 5 classes with a card issued upon completion. The guy I mentioned above was in his late 30's to early 40's. City folk with a new toy.
Another prime example. In high school one of my friends picked up a 30-30 out of the corner behind the front door. When he put it down it fell over and went off. Blew his girlfriends right calf completely off. If you are not familiar with guns then leave your greasy *^#@ beaters off.

I think every new gun owner should write an essay on the 4 rules of gun handling. I was at the county range up in Adairsville and a guy unwrapped his weapon, loaded it and commenced to rattling off rounds during a cold range with people down range hanging targets.
Gun safety is something that can't be stressed enough and training should be mandatory for first time buyers. A minimum of 5 classes with a card issued upon completion. The guy I mentioned above was in his late 30's to early 40's. City folk with a new toy.
Another prime example. In high school one of my friends picked up a 30-30 out of the corner behind the front door. When he put it down it fell over and went off. Blew his girlfriends right calf completely off. If you are not familiar with guns then leave your greasy *^#@ beaters off.

And sometimes people wonder why I take my rifle and ammo down range with me, lol, its so I can shoot back. :becky:

Wut ?

Back
Top Bottom