• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for first firearm for a female shooter w/kids at home?

I'm going to play a slightly different card-

If the gun is going to be for home defense I would go with a youth model pump 410 shotgun. Easy to manage, easy to swing.

If the gun is for carry, that's a personal choice that can only be made by the shooter. My wife has a shield,but prefers a g42. MY fat hands ride to high on the 42 and I lock the slide back constantly.

The one time my wife got scared enough to go dig a gun out of my safe because she thought someone was in our garage- she grabbed my glock 17 and slammed a 33rd stick in it. Momma mode.
Hell yes, good attitude!

I could swear we've done this particular Dance before, but...You'll not get your hands on MY Revolver, and if you try, you'll end up Bloodied, Beaten AND Shot...
Sounds good in theory. Now just make sure the bad guy follows your script.

We're also not talking about your revolver. We're talking about one carried by a woman. So that bloodied and beaten part is in serious doubt.

Most SD situation happen at extremely close range, especially for women. A revolver is without a doubt the easiest handgun to defeat if you can get a hand on it. Simply grabbing the cylinder will prevent it from firing. So no, not "5-6 for sure". Not at all.

How many Dindu McNuffins are going to know that much less sit there while lead is flying down range and try to grab a revolver cylinder? A semi auto can be knocked out of battery as well and at contact range the revolver has the advantage. They are called belly/boxing guns for a reason.

"The snub nosed revolver can play an important role in hand to hand combat. It can be used to "box," punch and whip an opponent. It is more difficult to disarm from the hand than say a semi auto or long barreled revolver, and if required to fend off a grasping or wrestling opponent, it can be easy manipulated into an adversary's body cavity.

Some people are of the notion that since the snub nose is a double action revolver, grasping the cylinder in a hand to hand confrontation can prevent pulling the trigger. While this can be true, it can be overcome by rotating the frame 90 degrees while pulling the trigger, permitting the frame to cock and discharge the gun instead of the trigger rotating the cylinder into battery."

^^^WORST Blanket Statement EVER...In the ENTIRE HISTORY of Al Gore's Internet^^^

Why because your such a wheel gun fanboie you can't get over the idea there is a better way?

Saying revolvers suck. That is a blanket statement.

Saying don't force a revolver on a women just because that's all you think she can handle is not a blanket statement.

How many Dindu McNuffins are going to know that much less sit there while lead is flying down range and try to grab a revolver cylinder? A semi auto can be knocked out of battery as well and at contact range the revolver has the advantage. They are called belly/boxing guns for a reason.

"The snub nosed revolver can play an important role in hand to hand combat. It can be used to "box," punch and whip an opponent. It is more difficult to disarm from the hand than say a semi auto or long barreled revolver, and if required to fend off a grasping or wrestling opponent, it can be easy manipulated into an adversary's body cavity.

Some people are of the notion that since the snub nose is a double action revolver, grasping the cylinder in a hand to hand confrontation can prevent pulling the trigger. While this can be true, it can be overcome by rotating the frame 90 degrees while pulling the trigger, permitting the frame to **** and discharge the gun instead of the trigger rotating the cylinder into battery."
Believe what you want, but that last statement especially needs closer examination and thought. Also keep in mind that the person grabbing it doesn't even need to be intending to lock up the cylinder, they just need to reflexively grab the gun when they see it's being drawn. It's that easy to do.

Side note- I will never use a ar-15 for home defense. I had a negligent discharge inside my house and that was really eye opening. Thank god I had tge gun "I thought" was unloaded in a safe direction. That 223 fmj 55 gr bullet went through the ceiling Sheetrock, insulation, 3/4" sub floor, thickest carpet pad available, carpet, a closet door, a plastic bin full of holsters, a kydex holster, out the other side of the bin and dented the Sheetrock on the wall behind it.

I find that to be wayyyyyyy to much penetration for home defense.

Agreed. I would never start someone on a .357 mag revolver. The only reason you will ever catch me with a revolver on is when I'm feeling nostalgic or in bear country... even then, it's because I happen to really like my .357 mag and I have a fancy holster for it. It's more of a BBQ bear country gun.

I have a g29 for when I'm actually concerned about bears.

Side note- I will never use a ar-15 for home defense. I had a negligent discharge inside my house and that was really eye opening. Thank god I had tge gun "I thought" was unloaded in a safe direction. That 223 fmj 55 gr bullet went through the ceiling Sheetrock, insulation, 3/4" sub floor, thickest carpet pad available, carpet, a closet door, a plastic bin full of holsters, a kydex holster, out the other side of the bin and dented the Sheetrock on the wall behind it.

I find that to be wayyyyyyy to much penetration for home defense.
It all depends on the selection of bullet. You can get frangible ammo that won't penetrate a single wall intact.

Why because your such a wheel gun fanboie you can't get over the idea there is a better way?

Saying revolvers suck. That is a blanket statement.

Saying don't force a revolver on a women just because that's all you think she can handle is not a blanket statement.

By "Better Way" I guess you mean Magazine Capacity? That's GREAT if you're in the Sandbox, but is a non-starter for CIVILIAN SD use...Unless you plan to MISS a lot, that is...Look at the relevant Stats for Rounds fired in Civilian SD encounters, and then look at the Stats regarding Rounds fired versus Rounds striking their INTENDED TARGET in LE Shootings before & after the changeover from Revolvers to Semiautos...Kinda' Eye-openning...IF you are open-minded...Oh, I forgot, that doesn't apply here...

Back
Top Bottom