• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for food plot

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
Some time back (maybe 1 or 2 years ago), I read a lot of discussion about what to plant for food plots (for deer). I own property in Tennessee, and we have finally cleared and plowed lanes. Now we want to gather information about food plot planting. My husband wants to simply plant clover, but I think I remember someone discussing a mix that was very successful. Will you share your experiences and advice for food plot planting?

Soil analysis first. Lime and fertilize as recommended. The up to y'all! Got to have a lot of plot for beans as they will be gone as they come up. Find a local feed seed store and talk to them. Generally the spri g summer mix and fall mix they sell work well

Just buy the bag of seed with the biggest buck on it and you'll be fine! Otherwise do what the guys above mention.

I don't usually plant in the spring because there is so much growing that they have plenty to eat but if I did I would probably plant soybeans, clay/iron peas or lab lab and clover. All of these will fix nitrogen into the soil ahead of the fall planting. I usually plant the Athens Seed fall deer mix on the first weekend in September and mix in ladino clover and purple top turnips (use sparingly, a little goes a long way) as well. Here's what's in the fall deer mix:

30% Buck Forage Oats, 30% Grain Rye, 30% Grain Wheat, 5% Annual Ryegrass, 3% Dixie Reseeding Clover, 2% Inert.

http://www.athensseed.com/catalog/wildlifeplot.html

You don't have to drive all the way to Athens to buy it. It is distributed to a bunch of local feed and seed stores in Georgia.

Good luck and let's see some pictures this fall!

Just buy the bag of seed with the biggest buck on it and you'll be fine! Otherwise do what the guys above mention.

I don't usually plant in the spring because there is so much growing that they have plenty to eat but if I did I would probably plant soybeans, clay/iron peas or lab lab and clover. All of these will fix nitrogen into the soil ahead of the fall planting. I usually plant the Athens Seed fall deer mix on the first weekend in September and mix in ladino clover and purple top turnips (use sparingly, a little goes a long way) as well. Here's what's in the fall deer mix:

30% Buck Forage Oats, 30% Grain Rye, 30% Grain Wheat, 5% Annual Ryegrass, 3% Dixie Reseeding Clover, 2% Inert.

http://www.athensseed.com/catalog/wildlifeplot.html

You don't have to drive all the way to Athens to buy it. It is distributed to a bunch of local feed and seed stores in Georgia.

Good luck and let's see some pictures this fall!

Solid advice here

I would do a soil analysis on it and go from there .
We have had a soil analysis in many spots on the land. I'll have to check with my husband to see if he tested that exact area. We have 40 acres, and we had the Tennessee extension office do the testing. I think he sent in about 10 samples, and he wrote down which areas were sampled. I will have to go look at the results, but he did say that the entire property needed lime.

Back
Top Bottom