• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice Needed! New rifle doesn't like Ammo

Steve6007

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
1   0
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently bought a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon 308 topped with a Leupold VX-3I. I've always had great luck with Browning rifles. I bought my wife a X-bolt 308 6-7 years ago and it shoots lights out with the 165 grain Federal Fusions. I went out this afternoon to Zero it in. I usually start out about 50 yards and get it where I want it then back up to 150ish. I couldn't do better than a 2" 3 shot group at 50 yards with the 165 grain Fusions in my new rifle. I checked my wife's X-Bolt with the same box of Ammo and it would shoot 3 shots touching at that distance. I checked the scope mounts on my new rifle and everything seems to be fine. Best I can figure is my new rifle doesn't like the 165 grain Fusions. Would y'all try a different 165 grain load like a Federal Premium 165 Accubond or Swap the weight of the bullets? 150 or 180 grain? Planning on cleaning the barrel before I shoot again. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have had issues with scopes before, always try a new scope before getting new ammo.

Quality rifle, quality ammo, and quality scope.

Used rifle and scope. ...... Check the rifling and the crown, if they look good, most likely scope or scope mount.

I'd look at the optics:rings,scope and mounts again; after cleaning the bore and before other ammo. I would also be tempted to check stock. Not familiar with this specific model or the specific ammo but you already know the ammo doesn't seem suspect in the same brand rifle.

Tighten your action screws. Make sure that your scope base and rings are tight. Make sure that your parallax is set properly.

If those are good, then try different ammo. Guns will tell you what they like and don't like. That's normal. Also, it is possible to have a bad lot. I've had a box of Hornady ELDM's that had almost 100 fps variance between the high and low out of one single 20 round lot.

Back
Top Bottom