• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on AR pistol

SirBannedAlot

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
171   0
Reaction score
Built the lower with a new Anderson receiver, a CMMG Premium LPK, a KAK Shockwave Blade on a pistol buffer tube assembly...

Now I just need to build an upper. I want to build a pistol, that I can now "legally shoulder when needed"... :-)

So if I want to keep it small and compact... let's say the size of an SMG, just for size comparison... Maybe 8.5" barrel?

The real question is caliber. I know that with such a short barrel, the .223 loses quite a bit of velocity... Big boom and flash, fun I guess, but probably not all that useful or practical...but cheap to shoot...

So I was thinking that perhaps .300 blackout would be better, as even at the lower velocity the 120-150gr bullet is gonna hit a lot harder... But the cost of .300 is 2x-3x what .223 costs...

So what do you guys suggest? Is 7.62x39 a viable option? Is a certain barrel length the "sweet spot" for performance and reliability?

And once I decide what to get, who locally carries such an upper, or should I just order parts and build it?

Thanks!

Just to be clear, my goal(s) here is:

1) Compact
2) Reliable
3) Decent power
4) Relatively cheap to shoot

if it makes sense to do a 10.5" in .223 over an 8.5" in another caliber, let me know your thoughts.

I really want to keep it as tiny and compact as possible, but not at the expense of it being a jam-o-matic and costing an arm and a leg to shoot, you know?

Is there really much difference in manuverability between an 8.5 and an 11.5 inch barrel? I like 12.5" uppers, they seem to be the sweet spot for what I need them to do.

10.5" in .223/5.56 is most likely to give reliable operation with a standard carbine buffer tube and a carbine or H buffer setup. Shorter than that, sometimes they run, sometimes you gotta tweak 'em.

Back
Top Bottom