• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on AR pistol

Just talked to the guy at Integrity, and he said that they build 7.5" in .223 Wylde all the time and don't see any issues. He said that with the right brake, it keep a lot of the blast out of your face and that reliability isn't an issue.

He said that for a "fun gun" and a home defense CQB weapon, it's fine. Sure it doesn't have the ballistics of your full size AR, but it's still more than the handgun in your nightstand most likely.

Gonna head over there a little later today and see what I can pick up.
The right brake may keep the gas out of your face, but that 7.5" will still be much louder than a 10.5" barrel, for you and your family nearby. Also a big effective muzzle device could easily add several of those inches back without any ballistic advantage (not to mention added weight in the worst place possible).

There have been several good studies on barrel length vs velocity for 5.56:
http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/686853_Effect_of_barrel_length_on_bullet_velocity__5_56mm_.html

It easy to say oh what's a few inches less barrel, but when it costs you hundreds of FPS with .224 diameter bullet...it matters a whole lot. 5.56/223 rounds are ineffective without adequate velocity (according to this study above with M855, barrels less than 8.5" don't have the velocity to produce a lethal wound channel).

Sure it's more effective than your bedside pistol, but that's not saying a whole lot. If I'm carrying a rifle (or rifle size, rifle caliber pistol) I want as close to rifle effectiveness as possible. My solution to your problem for home use (there are other advantages for an AR pistol for truck gun use) would be a X95/Tavor. It is going to be the same length as your AR pistol, but with a full 16" barrel and a true stock. I bit pricey sure, but I've seen Tavors listed for $1300 on here recently and I bet you could get one for a little less even (or even another bullpup like the RDB, AUG, etc).

Finished the build, just need some flip up irons. The guys at Integrity Arms got me set up, took 45 minutes to build the upper, gonna test fire it this weekend.

D144303F-AA5D-4988-9366-F6F9A4FAB6DE.JPG
C52763F0-FECF-4625-B342-D6AC49905175.JPG

Back
Top Bottom