• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on loading for a 30-06

Delete

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
Going to try my hand at reloading a few rounds for my dad's 30-06. It's a modern bolt gun. What's throwing me, is that he's a fan of heavy rounds. 180 grainers. I load for a .270 and my AR and I have both IMR 4831 and 4350 on hand already.

Anyone have a 'go to' in this? Either powder or bullet? I'll probably start with the 4831 unless someone tells me otherwise.

Try H-414, 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. We use FEDERAL GM215M Primers. Been using it for 42 years works Slamming Good.

Have a different load for 130 Grain Barnes TTSX, bullets they are great also..

Good luck in your reloading quest to obtain the best....

Keep'm all in the 10X Ring...

just suggestions to consider...

IMR 4350 and a 165 Sierra Game King goes into one hole from my Savage 116.
I stacked 10 of them into a small one ragged hole group of .446 at 100 yards which is the best group I have fired from that rifle.
It's been my 30-06 go to load for the last 20 years. You'll have to work up but my rifle likes a max charge of 57gr IMR4350 a 165gr Sierra Game King HPBT loaded to kiss the lands and a CCI BR2 primer in neck sized brass.
Nosler also had this listed (5th edition) as most accurate load tested and most accurate powder tested using a different primer and one of their 165-168gr bullets.
Though a shade less accurate but still well under an inch and super deadly on game performance, I use Nosler Accubonds with the same charge weight and primer for my hunting load. Devastating entrance, exit and energy transfer.
Be sure if you try this load to work up because it is as I stated a listed maximum charge. I use it because it's stupid accurate for me not because it's a maximum listed charge.
I also urge you to follow all safety procedures and confirm any data you receive from anywhere other than a powder or bullet manufacturer before trying it.

I always tend to use the 150-165/168 grain in the 308 /30-06 if hunting in the southeast.
any number of great powders will push these very well, after all the cartridge has been around now over 100 years.
I use 150-168 even in my 300 Win mag if hunting anything except larger species from other areas.

I always tend to use the 150-165/168 grain in the 308 /30-06 if hunting in the southeast.
any number of great powders will push these very well, after all the cartridge has been around now over 100 years.
I use 150-168 even in my 300 Win mag if hunting anything except larger species from other areas.
Quoting my dad:
'that's what I've always used and that's what I'm going to keep using. If you can't load those, I'll just keep buying them from the store'
he's 66.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

heck if that's what he wants then thats what he needs to get!
the only thing going for the heavier projectile is more penetration, it has less energy, less expansion, more drop.
but heck hes the shooter so be it.

Back
Top Bottom