• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on youth bows

karlvv30

Wolf Icon Supporter
Bad at deer hunting
19   0
Reaction score
My daughter's are turning 8 and 11 in November and they both want bows. Kinda blew my mind when they asked for them. Anyone have any experience with bows for young girls? I want to get them set up right. Price doesn't matter at all. My 11 year old is about 5' tall and the 8 year old is about 4'. All advice is welcome.

For the 11 yo you can get a PSE Stinger with 50# limbd. That bow can be tunred down to the 28# range. For the 8yo I would sugest a recurve. IM me, I would be happy to discuss this with you further.

Assuming they want compounds there are several very nice adjustable youth to adult bows available. My son started with a Diamond Razors Edge (the precursor to the Infinite Edge) at age 10 give or take. Most youth bows today come in colors including black, camo, pink, pink camo, purple, orange and others if your girls are into that. Many will adjust from 19" to 29" draw lengths and from about 17-20 pounds all the way up to 50-70 depending on the bow. Make sure you get one that doesn't require a bow press to change the settings unless you have a bow press that is.

The weight of the bow itself is going to be important for younger girls unless they have been working on a farm since they were five years old or something like that. If you can get away with the "bigger kid size" youth bows they can last them a life time. My son still uses his Diamond and took his first deer at age 12 set at 37 pounds, 22 yard shot through both lungs and stuck in the ground about 3-4" on the other side. (about 90 pound doe) We cycled through arrows to keep them the right size for the draw length over the years and for hunting used fixed blade broad heads like Magnus Buzz Cut. Make sure you tune the arrow/broad head because it can shoot different than a field point. (PM me if you need more help on that kind of stuff)

Youth Adjustable Bows (in the bigger kid size)...
DIAMOND INFINITE EDGE PRO (by bowtec) 13" to 31" and 5 lbs. to 70 lbs
MISSION HYPE or HYPE DT 19 to 30 inches and 55 pounds of draw-weight (Mission is made by Matthews)
MISSION CRAZE 19 to 30 inches and 13 to 70 pounds (and most mission bows have some pretty cool colors)
BASS PRO SHOPS BLACKOUT INTRIGUE - 23 to 30 inches without the use of a bow press. from 20 to 70 pounds
HOYT IGNITE - 19 to 30 inches and a weight range of 15 to 70 pounds
BEAR CRUZER - 12 to 30 inches of draw weight ranges from 5 pounds up to 70

Youth Adjustable Bows (in the smaller kid sizes)
Diamond Atomic 12-24" 6-29 lbs
Bear Apprentice 3 15-27" 20-60 lbs
Mathews Genesis Mini 14-25" 6-12 lbs
Barnett Vortex 21-27" 19-45 lbs
Bear Archery Brave 13.5-19" 15-25 lbs
Barnett Vortex Lite 22-25" 18-29 lbs
Barnett Tomcat 20-22" 17-22 lbs
Bear Archery Warrior 3 19-25" 24-29 lbs

The most important piece of advice I can give is to make sure it stays fun. My daughter started archery with my son but put it down for almost 4 years before picking it back up. Now she shoots Olympic recurve and compound and does 3D shoots and the whole nine yards. Make sure they start close enough to hit the target and know that it takes a lot of practice to get real good...but did I say the most important thing is to have FUN!!! Balloons are always a big hit along with things like playing tic-tac-toe so they aren't always just shooting the centers out of your targets.

Last but not least, get good foam targets that make it easy to stick the arrows and to pull them.

Good luck.

8 year old mission craze. 10 year old Diamond infinite edge SB1. The mission craze is smaller and lighter. The edge is a superior bow but heavier. Some adults even shoot a diamond edge. The SB1 model is the newest and easiest to adjust. I just got one for my son

Where are you located. My son has mentioned wanting to sell his. It goes from 14 to 45 pounds l think or somewhere in that range. I'll double check with him if you're interested

Three years ago I purchased a Diamond Infinite Edge for my son, he was 9. I liked it so I sold my bow and purchased an Infinite Edge for me as well. Yesterday I purchased a third one for my youngest son, who is 9.

Back
Top Bottom