• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Africa-- ever considered going hunting there? I can help. Nothing to sell, just start you on the way.

kuduman

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
Ever thought about hunting Africa? It can be cheaper than an elk hunt, and you will come back with multiple trophies. Almost guaranteed. (Sight in and practice with your dang gun!)

It's not hard, and you certainly will never forget it. And it's probably not as expensive as you think. Hunts are available at a lot of price levels.

I may get overwhelmed here, but I'd love to point new guys in the right direction-- and if you don't already have a friend that has done it, it's a daunting subject. Getting started is hard... but I can tell you the "deal", and get you started with the questions for the Professional Hunters/Outfitters.

I have nothing to sell, and no kick-backs or anything. I'd just like folks to enjoy it while we still can! You'll never forget it, though you'll never forget skydiving either, and that is certainly cheaper, though nothing to hang on your wall. But if you love hunting, Africa beckons. It is astounding... the hunting grounds are covered in droppings like a dang barnyard.

Anyway, I'll be happy to point anyone down the road to hunting African game or setting up an African hunt. Just PM me.

Again, I have nothing to sell, and there are undoubtedly people on the ODT with FAR more African hunts, but it's intimidating if you don't know how to start, and what questions to ask.

For whatever this is worth... I'd go every year I have left on earth, if I could afford it. : )

Holler if interested.

I don’t know about Africa but my son in law just spent a week hunting in Argentina and they couldn’t bring anything back.

Food or trophy wise? There’s normally trophy import fees and no meat for Africa.

OP. I would love to go. It’s on my bucket list. I have a close buddy who, no lie, goes once a year….

Well... let's say $10K to start with. Again, I don't have anything to sell, can't negotiate for you, and it depends on what you want. Look for South African hunts on sale, MINUS taxidermy, might be well under ten, depending on what Delta does with plane fares. Lots of variables. Spend some time, may get a bargain hunt on the whole shebang. Have to have certain dates, and certain species, and the price goes well up. And I'm NOT talking the Big Five. Lions-- a BMW. Elephants... a starter house (though that price is declining markedly, as they are overpopulated).

There's no easy answer, but for $10K, you could certainly start looking.

I ain't rich, and that's a lot of money, but you do get a lot for it. And if you DON'T want the trophies, it gets much cheaper overall. (I only have one shoulder mount, though lots of skulls and rugs... much, much cheaper that way.)

So the basics are, and this is what folks don't know to start with-- it's the plane ride, on you-- then a daily rate for the place you are hunting-- that includes food, lodging, daily laundry, maybe alcohol, and a team of wildlife professionals to take you hunting each day. Plus a fee (known and maybe negotiated) for each animal you shoot. That usually includes skinning/processing, and delivery to your taxidermist or shipper... again, this varies, but that's the general deal: you travel, pay a daily rate, and then per animal. That's the basics.

If your hunt is somewhere in the wilds of Zimbabwe, you'll have to arrange to get there, with the PH or otherwise. If your PH can pick you up at a major airport, they will. Etc. But way off in the middle of nowhere, you will have to arrange for flights and so forth. You're beyond my price range of knowledge, and you will have plenty of folks to arrange that. That's not my audience here.

I can't afford five-star hotels in the US, but my food/lodging in the semi-wilds of Africa have been astoundingly good. Five folks full-time devoted to me, and another five for my hunting partner. You won't want to come home. : ) I sure didn't.

But you need to start with what you want to hunt, or at least get some price sheets and explore the options. And it's ALL negotiable-- you can get 30% off published prices almost guaranteed. And whatnot. This ain't trivial, but I promise you it's worth the headache. That kudu's skull is in my garage-- I have a better one on my only shoulder mount in the living room.

I'll go ahead and say it, in case I get a lot of responses... I'm going to tell you to go to the Safari Club International (SCI) trade show in Nevada to book your hunt. End of January, usually. Varies between Reno and Vegas; I haven't looked for 2023. If you can't do that, well, you probably shouldn't consider this further. (Though I'll go there if I ever want an elk hunt. It's all hunts, all around the world-- they're all there-- polar bears, every dang thing.) This is where you can talk to many (dozens) of operators that can help you plan a hunt. You're going to be living with them for a bit, you really should meet them and be comfortable with them. And that's the place to do it-- they're all there.

You cannot bring the meat back. No way, no how. Skins, skulls, trophies can get home, though maybe not with you-- but absolutely!

But no biltong, and nothing else. You be eating it while you are there, though usually the species you shot, from the last hunter to shoot it, so it can hang and age a bit.

Nothing will be wasted. It'll all get eaten by you, next hunters, or staff. But you can't bring it back. :(

Back
Top Bottom