• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aggressive Pitbull

hqdefault (2).jpg

BS You dont have to wait to be bitten. Had to shoot my next door Neighbors bull dog 2 years ago.. charged my 4 year old grandson. He called the police. Police wrote them a ticket and they had to go to court. It does leave bad blood between you and your neighbor. Mine have since moved.
The point is that it is much easier to justify deadly force when there is a bite, not that it's essential. It can be a lot harder to show justification for a shooting in other situations.
It does leave bad blood, that's for sure. My father got attacked by a loose dog when he was walking our dog and our dog killed the other dog. Turns out the loose dog belonged to the president of the HOA. She tried to do everything she could to make our lives hell and tried turning out neighbors against us. Both of us ended up moving.

I've consulted with other lawyers on dog attack cases, and have negotiated with prosecutors over this issue. You don't have to wait for the dog to sink its teeth into you or your child. Sometimes just a charging dog can be enough of a threat to shoot. But, the size and breed of the dog matters. A teacup poodle or Chiuauhua? You may have to risk getting bit. Big dog, or breed known to be dangerous to people? SHoot it from several yards away as it comes at you.

The history of this particular dog matters, IF you know about this dog's reputation. For example, if this dog is known to charge every pedestrian or bicyclist that goes down your street, but it's never actually bit anybody to your knowledge, then this means you can't shoot. It would be unreasonable for you to think that this dog is finally going to follow through with the attack when it has been bluffing all those years with charges that end with it stopping short of touching the people.

A strange dog, that you know nothing about--- THAT is one that can give you a green light to shoot if it looks like (to you, and to some reasonable person in your shoes) it's attacking you.

The point is that it is much easier to justify deadly force when there is a bite, not that it's essential. It can be a lot harder to show justification for a shooting in other situations.
It does leave bad blood, that's for sure. My father got attacked by a loose dog when he was walking our dog and our dog killed the other dog. Turns out the loose dog belonged to the president of the HOA. She tried to do everything she could to make our lives hell and tried turning out neighbors against us. Both of us ended up moving.

You should not be shooting unless you believe you or someone else will be bitten. But once you make that assumption I can not see in reason to wait and be bitten. I have dogs and don't like to shoot someone else's. But if circumstances dictate, boom!

Back
Top Bottom