• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aggressive Pitbull

Pit bull attacked my daughter last year as she was walking out of her house onto sidewalk. Dirt bag pit owners told her when it was charging her...”oh don’t worry he is friendly!”. He proceeded to sink his teeth in her leg to the bone and drag her down on the ground. Only her boyfriend coming out of the house and kicking the dog off her saved from a worse mauling as it was heading for her throat.

She still has scars...physical and mental. The owners snuck away while her boyfriend was consoling her.
That dog would mysteriously disappear

Bear spray or pepper spray is a better option than deadly force. Deadly force can be justified if the dog is actually biting someone, but IMO it's not enough that the dog is charging someone. Use of deadly force could very well entail needing to retain an attorney and that ain't cheap. Pepper spray is cheaper and the dog will probably learn a lesson.
Also doing what @DADI03 suggests is a good idea because it establishes a paper trail.

This too!

The history of this particular dog matters, IF you know about this dog's reputation. For example, if this dog is known to charge every pedestrian or bicyclist that goes down your street, but it's never actually bit anybody to your knowledge, then this means you can't shoot. It would be unreasonable for you to think that this dog is finally going to follow through with the attack when it has been bluffing all those years with charges that end with it stopping short of touching the people.

A strange dog, that you know nothing about--- THAT is one that can give you a green light to shoot if it looks like (to you, and to some reasonable person in your shoes) it's attacking you.

How would the fact that situation make it unreasonable? Today could the lucky day for someone.

For instance, neighbors dog is a huge pain in the ass, they let it run loose. Was loading my trunk one day, oblivious to the world like most folks in their driveway at 6am. Felt something on my left hand, kinda wet/warm.... look over and my hand is a dogs mouth. First thought was how did my dog get out (similar color and size, my rottie/their sheppard), then my brain finally catches up and I realize its my neighbors dog. I had just put my back pack and holstered pistol down in the trunk, easily within reach....
Walk stupid dog home by the neck, beat on their door, explain not so nicely what happened, got blown off and I walked away.

Wife left her car door open one day and walked back into the house, the SOB was in her the passenger seat when she started to get in. Walked damn dog back again....

We've got history with this critter....

Last weekend+/- Was sitting in my office and my little dog next to me went absolutely ballistic, she was trying to get out a second story window, she wanted to get outside now!! Looked out the window and the neighbors damn dog was "attacking" another neighbor and her child, grabbed the closest pistol and out the door I went. Yelled at the dog that was now perusing them into their driveway, under 20 yards away he stops, turns and now he's coming at me full bore.......

Clear shot, clear background, woman and child safe distance at 90 degrees to target and moving away

2 choices here, funny how time slows down....

Didn't want to make this worse for woman and child, so I chose poorly..

Grabbed the ****er by his neck and pinned him down in the middle of the road. Doggy gets antsy after a minute and tries to get up/wiggle away, a "gentle" squeeze on his neck and he reconsidered and then peed himself.... Few minutes later neighbor that was "attacked" comes back out and walks to owners house, explains what happened to POS owner, got blown off. Owner finally wanders over calling his dog that I still have pinned down acting like it was no big deal. I let the dog go....

Woman and child uninjured, little girl already had a fear of dogs so this didn't help

Animal control paid them a visit next day. ****ers come over and want to be nice now, all apologetic.... I explain very politely what their options are now concerning me and future interactions with their dog, funny they didn't seem happy..

Their options are
1 Keep it on a leash
2 Keep it behind a fence

So he has a history of behaving badly, and the owners don't seem to care. This would/could be questionable?

I find it odd that a dog's historically bad behavior, could possibly be used to justify current behavior as less than dangerous and a lethal response unjustified.

Let me be clear, not bashing you personally or lawyers in general. Just curious, that's all.

Galvatron, most of what you're describing a dog with a history of being a nuisance and a P.I.T.A.

But those do not justify killing the animal.

You would have plenty of reason to hate the animal and despise its owners, sure.

Back
Top Bottom