• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Air Rifle Chat: PCP rifles, thoughts, experience and recommendations

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
HouseHold Six just gave me a green light to buy a premium air rifle.

I have narrowed it down to a PCP rifle and most likely .25 caliber.

What do I need to know? I'm a pump pneumatic and spring air guy for about 43 years.

I went with the Benjamin Discovery in .22 after a lot of research. The rifle is light weight, powerful, accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. The only thing I don't like is that it is not sling ready. I also opted for the high pressure pump over the scuba tank filling, figuring if the shtf I would still be able to use it. I was also thinking I was going with .25 but .22 can be easily found at most stores for around $6-7 for 500rds including Wal-mart and I have yet to see .25 offered anywhere except on-line.

I went with the Benjamin Discovery in .22 after a lot of research. The rifle is light weight, powerful, accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. The only thing I don't like is that it is not sling ready. I also opted for the high pressure pump over the scuba tank filling, figuring if the shtf I would still be able to use it. I was also thinking I was going with .25 but .22 can be easily found at most stores for around $6-7 for 500rds including Wal-mart and I have yet to see .25 offered anywhere except on-line.

What kind of groups are you getting at 50 yards? Did you scope your rifle?

Jeez......

I'd like to have a nice air rifle also, but when I clicked on that link above I nearly fell out of the chair. I had no idea they could be that expensive.

What are good recommendations for a sub-$200 air rifle?

Jerry

Jeez......

I'd like to have a nice air rifle also, but when I clicked on that link above I nearly fell out of the chair. I had no idea they could be that expensive.

Jerry
I've got an inexpensive GAMO Silver Shadow that shoots .177 at 1000 fps and it works for me. I just plink and shoot squirrels but it's better than my old "Red Ryder". I'd shoot my eye out with it!

Jeez......

Jerry

Spring air guns, barrel cocking are what is most common

Pros they are powerful and economical.

In general they are not as accurate as pneumatic pump or PCP. The big heavy spring required breaks scopes and an air gun specific scope is required.

One of the really good buys in this class is this fine Turkish/European rifle. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...rtex-underlever-air-rifle-pellet-walnut-stock

The pneumatic pump up guns are really decent too but it takes several pumps to get it up to pressure but they don't need a specific air gun scope. One of the best values and a classic is the Benjamin 397/392 rifles.

In general they are more accurate than spring air guns. However, really good examples are close.

What's the advantage of a pre-charged pneumatic adult air rifle that may shoot a 22 caliber pellet weighing about 12 gr. at a velocity of 1000 ft./s over,
let's say,

a bolt action 22 rifle with a 22 inch barrel (cuts down the noise) used with CCI "quiet" 22 LR ammunition (40 gr. at 700 fps) or "CB long" ammo (27 gr. at 700 fps)?

The noise levels should be similar if the rimfire rifle has a long barrel over 20 inches and is not of the semi-auto type.

The rimfire guns will have more power and more range then a 22 or 25 caliber pre-charged pneumatic air rifle.

The only advantage of the PCP guns, as far as I can tell, would be to shoot them in an area where airgun use is allowed but discharging powder firearms is illegal.

Back
Top Bottom