• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Air Rifle Chat: PCP rifles, thoughts, experience and recommendations

The only advantage of the PCP guns, as far as I can tell, would be to shoot them in an area where airgun use is allowed but discharging powder firearms is illegal.

Yes, I'd like to not bend the rules as well as sending a 40 grain projectile through the trees in a sub-division at 1,000 FPS.

Heh heh, Wetcow45tte2001 eluded to a SHTF scenario and not relying on brass, primer, powder and lead with a PCP rifle. He opted for .22 caliber for pellet availability.

I think I can make a mold for a .25 projectile and size to the correct diameter. Suppressed these rifles are really quiet and don't attract a lot of attention.

If I didn't live where I do I'd suppress a CZ bolt gun and scope it.

RWS all the way. They are a division of Walther. They make some real powerful pellet guns.
I bought my son one for 120 bucks from Walmart and it came with a decent scope. I hung some targets on my parents fence slats. When I shot the gun I could have sworn I heard the pellet ripping through the bamboo patch behind the fence. I thought now way that pellet is going through that fence slat and going through fresh green bamboo. After we got the scope sighted in I went down and inspected the target. Just on a whim, I looked behind the slats. They had splintered out about 4 inches and yes there were holes all through the bamboo stalks. Now I am not talking little bamboo stalks. I am talking two, to three-inch diameter stalks. The pellet guns they are making are hitting speeds of a normal 22 LR round when you use the alloy pellets. The RWS makes good heavy solid guns. Mine is a barrel break charging gun and you put the pellet right in the barrel when it's open. It's super accurate and I mean as accurate as my Savage 22 bolt gun. Deadly at 50 yards.
Take your time and read up on Feet Per Second. Some have suppressors. There a ton of really good ones. Hell you can even get a 357 pellet gun. I think I saw a 50 cal one. Those get up into the 400 to 600 range though.
Somewhere in the range of 120 to 200 will get you all the pellet gun you want. Excellent varmint control especially the ones with the suppressors. Go and handle a few as well. Mine is made out of real nice wood for the stock. The trigger is not stamped steel and is not made out of cheap metal parts. I think Walmart was discontinuing the model I bought and it was on sale. If you look around on the internet you can get one at a really competitive price. Mine doesn't have a suppressor so it's really loud so you might want to take that into consideration.

The Gammo Varmint hunter is throwing a .177 platinum pellet out at 1400 fps. CCI standard velocity ammo is right around 1,070 fps. Barring High-velocity 22LR ammo you basically have a 22 LR gun. With a suppressor, no one would be none the wiser. High velocity 22LR ammo reaches speeds of around 1,700 fps. So really you are not that far out from a full power 22 LR high-velocity rifle for varmints.

also anyone who just needs a cheap solution for varmints in the suburbs go grab some aguila super colibri. its powderless .22 that is quiet as hell. its quieter than a bb gun in my bolt action with no suppressor. wont cycle a simi auto but still fun as hell.

Let me look and see what brand mine is. Like I said it's a little on the loud side but just shoot out a window. I was amazed the first time we shot it and I saw the destructive power they have now. I remember shooting my Red Ryder Daisy and watching the BB arch from the barrel to the ground. Not anymore brother. Let me tell ya. You better damn well know what's behind the object you are aiming at. You could kill a person in a quick second with the bad boys they have out now.

I have a Crossman Storm XT. Pellet speed with alloy pellet is 1200 fps. The closest one Crossman makes now that is wood and works like our is the Crossman Optimus. I think it was 99.00 without scope. Ours came with a Center Point scope and I was all in at about 130. You can't go wrong with one like mine. Other that being loud it's accurate, powerful and has weight to it since it's made from wood instead of plastic. It's all the pellet gun you will ever need.
We take to the mountains when we go on vacation. The last time we went I was popping mushroom caps at about 40 yards. The mushrooms were probably about the diameter of a silver dollar. Pretty damn impressive from a pellet gun.

HouseHold Six just gave me a green light to buy a premium air rifle.

I have narrowed it down to a PCP rifle and most likely .25 caliber.

What do I need to know? I'm a pump pneumatic and spring air guy for about 43 years.
Benjamin Marauder in .25. built in shroud and Green Mountain barrel. The Mrod .22 has barrel (accuracy) issues, but the .25 gets great reviews. I have a .22 I bought last year for a song, but some days I wish I'd sprung (no pun) for the .25.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom