• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Air Rifle Chat: PCP rifles, thoughts, experience and recommendations

HouseHold Six just gave me a green light to buy a premium air rifle.

I have narrowed it down to a PCP rifle and most likely .25 caliber.

What do I need to know? I'm a pump pneumatic and spring air guy for about 43 years.
BTW, get yourself a used 4500 psi carbon fiber SCBA bottle and do bulk fills with a nitrogen tank. You'll never want to go back to pumping a PCP again!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What's the advantage of a pre-charged pneumatic adult air rifle that may shoot a 22 caliber pellet weighing about 12 gr. at a velocity of 1000 ft./s over,
let's say,

a bolt action 22 rifle with a 22 inch barrel (cuts down the noise) used with CCI "quiet" 22 LR ammunition (40 gr. at 700 fps) or "CB long" ammo (27 gr. at 700 fps)?

The noise levels should be similar if the rimfire rifle has a long barrel over 20 inches and is not of the semi-auto type.

The rimfire guns will have more power and more range then a 22 or 25 caliber pre-charged pneumatic air rifle.

The only advantage of the PCP guns, as far as I can tell, would be to shoot them in an area where airgun use is allowed but discharging powder firearms is illegal.
Quieter and more accurate. If moderated and set up properly, you'll only hear the hammer hit the exhaust valve. Top quality PCP Airguns can shoot under 1/2" groups at 50 yards. On a 3000 psi fill, most PCPs will give 30-50 shots before refilling.

BTW, get yourself a used 4500 psi carbon fiber SCBA bottle and do bulk fills with a nitrogen tank. You'll never want to go back to pumping a PCP again!

Yep, looking for a tank now. Any ideas where to look? The pump is nice just in case, easy to pack and carry.

I picked up a couple for myself and my cousin a few months ago off eBay. Should be able to get a Scott or equiv 45 min 4500psi tank with 5-8 years left on the hydrotest for about $100-125. Carbon fiber hydro is only good for 15 years in the US, so if you get a tank built in the last 7-8 yrs, you can get them commercially filled (scuba shop or paintball field) for another 7-8 yrs.

If you are filling them from your own N2 tank, a current hydro is prudent, but unnecessary. PM me if you want to know more. Oh, you'll also need a gauge & hose (~$125-175), but they're a one-time expense.

I picked up a couple for myself and my cousin a few months ago off eBay. Should be able to get a Scott or equiv 45 min 4500psi tank with 5-8 years left on the hydrotest for about $100-125. Carbon fiber hydro is only good for 15 years in the US, so if you get a tank built in the last 7-8 yrs, you can get them commercially filled (scuba shop or paintball field) for another 7-8 yrs.

If you are filling them from your own N2 tank, a current hydro is prudent, but unnecessary. PM me if you want to know more. Oh, you'll also need a gauge & hose (~$125-175), but they're a one-time expense.

I already did, school me, I now know enough to be dangerous.

I don't know why but having to worry about always having a canister for shooting just doesn't appeal to me. Even if it drops 400 to 500 fps. It's kind of comparing nitrous vs. a turbo. One's always there and the other has to be monitored and will loose power shot after shot. Preference is the buyers prerogative I guess. The up-side is you don't have to charge the gun every time and you have multiple shots readily. I quess that isn't so bad. My gun is a bitch to charge and it is single shot. However, the projectiles are really moving when they exit the barrel.

I have a few springers, marauder pistol pcp in 22, marauder rifle pcp in 25, and Hatsan galatian pcp in 22.

Love the marauder 25 the best. Its a beast, backyard friendly in my neighborhood, 2" groupings at 45 yards, and cheap to shoot. I use an old scuba tank for fills. I get about 30 shots per fill, but it literally takes 10 seconds to fill it back up. About 30 fills per tank.

Just for plinking I find them more fun than rimfire, not illegal to discharge in a neighborhood like a firearm, and no brass to pickup off the deck.

Back
Top Bottom