• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Air Rifle Chat: PCP rifles, thoughts, experience and recommendations

Well sighted it last night with a scope stolen off another rifle. It appears very accurate but will have to seek what pellet it likes.

DSC_0339.JPG

The pellets are huge and these are the smaller 19 grain ones next to .177 pellet. I have some 30 grain ones but will see how close to 970 FPS they come to claimed maximum velocity at the 6th highest power setting.

DSC_0342.JPG

Set the match trigger up last night.

I'll post dead critter pics as the rifle and I become one...

Well sighted it last night with a scope stolen off another rifle. It appears very accurate but will have to seek what pellet it likes.

View attachment 1150651

The pellets are huge and these are the smaller 19 grain ones next to .177 pellet. I have some 30 grain ones but will see how close to 970 FPS they come to claimed maximum velocity at the 6th highest power setting.

View attachment 1150666

Set the match trigger up last night.

I'll post dead critter pics as the rifle and I become one...

Wait. What!?! You already bought it? You gotta fill us in on the particulars! Appears to be a Gladius in .25. Ought to be a sweet varmint gun! How is the muzzle report,?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wait. What!?! You already bought it? You gotta fill us in on the particulars! Appears to be a Gladius in .25. Ought to be a sweet varmint gun! How is the muzzle report,?

I had been looking for several weeks and decided on a bull pup PCP unless someone could convince me otherwise.

Yep, it's the Gladius .25 caliber. I was about to drop hammer on a Hatsan Bullboss. That was until I saw the Gladius "Long" that adds about another 3" of barrel. That adds enough FPS to be important to me.

Both are suppressed air guns. When it arrived yesterday I went through it. I polished one of the rotary magazine inner surface as machine burs were present and set the match trigger to about 2lbs.

I stole a 4x14 mil dot side parallax adjustable scope and attached.

I thought the gas tube was empty and proceeded to clean the barrel and got a patch stuck. Then I realized the tube was shipped full of (HPA). The dry firing on setting #1 was about as loud as dry firing a Glock and this was without a pellet.

I cranked it up to #6 (highest power setting) and dry fired and the patch exploded it to a white mist... I checked the bore and it looked great.

During sun down I dialed it in and was very pleased with the groupings. The sound dB levels at the highest power setting were not obnoxious, I figured out the POI at known points in my back yard. I have about 7 different pellets to test.

I'll post up more as I learn this this thing.

Check around. I bought my BullDog from Cabelas on sale for $699 Saved $300. I have a Lead smelter on the way and plan on trying my hand at the 357 cal pellets. There is a shop close to where my son lives that we frequent. Thats were I bought magazines and various pellets. http://www.pyramydair.com/ Also my son has a 3d printer that he printed the singleshot block (Armada 22 cal). They actually sell that little chunk of plastic for $20-25 (Crazy)

I totally understand.

I have been a spring/air guy for 15 years and was strongly considering a fine German rifle as my "premium" legal lethal critter gitter for those damn squirrels are digging in my garden and will start attacking my crops and have been getting in my gutters/roof.

The spring air guns can be very accurate and my first has held accuracy until a few years ago. Awesome value and 15 years ago if it was in my or my neighbor's back yard it was DRT. I received another springer that spit light pellets at close to a 1000 fps but with a variety of pellets the heavy ones at about 915-925 fps would group 1-1/2 at best in 20 yards.

A tuned PCP will create one hole at that range and most have acceptable accuracy to 50 yards or more with 75-100 yard shots not unheard of. The most accurate pellet rifles on the earth used in competition are PCP guns of European origins.

Many don't realize that PCP guns have been around for hundreds of years and were used in combat/battle. The issue was using bellows to charge the guns but they were our first early repeating rifles. We have came a long way.

Accuracy PCP work.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/05/12/lewis-clarks-girardoni-air-rifle-gun-helped-discover-west/
Looking forward to reviews on the air rifle. I've been on the fence about a PCP because of the difficulty of getting tanks charged.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/05/12/lewis-clarks-girardoni-air-rifle-gun-helped-discover-west/
Looking forward to reviews on the air rifle. I've been on the fence about a PCP because of the difficulty of getting tanks charged.
Where are you located? Before you buy, check out each shop and found out what their fill capabilities are. If a scuba shop, many times they can only fill to 3500psi. Ask if they're willing to fill a CF SCBA tank w/o a C-card. If so, find out what adaptor(s) they require.

Or if they aren't willing to fill for a non-diver, talk to the owner/manager and see if they would be willing to fill with a waiver on file. I've found that negotiation is best done in person.

Early first review but bottom line, money well spent.

Well when the air pressure dropped (just before yellow) after a number of shots via accident during setting the trigger pull weight, dry firing and then sighting in the lightest pellet (20 grains) I assembled the hand pump.

It's a fairly decent quality pump. It took bit to take the needle back to just below the red zone.

Not mine but for reference.

hardairmagazine.com_wp_content_uploads_2017_03_Chief_Gauge_1.jpg

Once back up to pressure, I loaded the magazine I polished up and let set fully pressurized. After a day or two no deviation or leaks noted.

So far I tagged five tree rats with this .25 caliber beast of an air rifle. It puts the hurt on them and renews my confidence in my skills.

DSC_0379.JPG

This morning this guy was approximately 40 yards away and my first shot was a tad high, he stopped and hunched down giving a small 2 inch shot through the trees and smacked right good, dropping him to the ground.

DSC_0380.JPG

I haven't needed to top of the air chamber yet and I'm debating if I really need a compressed air resupply tank. The rifle is for yard varmints and once dialed in it sets until yard varmints enter my rather lengthy kill zone I have now.

I wish I hadn't waited so long to pick this shooter up.

The cons, when excited and working the lever action, insure to pull it fully back to cock the rifle and pick up a pellet to be chambered or it's just noise.

Back
Top Bottom