• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Airbags in used vehicles. Is there any way to tell if they will work or not and do they go bad?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
Since many used vehicles from the 70's to 1998 had airbags and they were not mandated until 1998 for all vehicles how do you know if they will work? If you buy one of these used vehicles is there a way to know whether

Get a good scanner or pay someone to check. Sensors should say if they are ready electronically.
As for the explosive charge? Good question, although I worked lots of wrecks with older cars where they deployed just fine.

Since many used vehicles from the 70's to 1998 had airbags and they were not mandated until 1998 for all vehicles how do you know if they will work? If you buy one of these used vehicles is there a way to know whether
Huh?
I’ve never seen a car with airbags made before 1996 .

I know GM made a few in the late 70s but not many .

I don’t know which part failed, but I was in a wreck in 2011. My ‘97 pathfinder‘s airbag didn’t deploy . I was going plenty fast enough that it should’ve but not fast enough that I was seriously hurt. My car was totaled, all I got was concussion #5. Had the bag deployed I would have gotten a travel coffee cup to the teeth.

If it's for safety reasons, check with manufacturer. It would probably cost more to be absolutely sure than the vehicle would be worth

Starting in the 90s, vehicle airbags began getting lifetime ratings. They are expected to last the entire lifetime of a vehicle without any problems. However, they don't last forever. Modern vehicles connect airbags to self-diagnostic systems that conduct a self-test at startup and the car’s system continues to monitor the airbag while the vehicle is running. If there is a problem, a warning light comes on.

In older vehicles (before '93) airbags lifespan depends on the age and brand of your car. The owner’s manual (or online) will tell you when airbags should be replaced. Typically they should be inspected every 10 years and replaced every 15 years.

Obviously, there are exceptions and recalls. If you doubt the airbag is 100% functional, just have it inspected.

Back
Top Bottom