• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Airgun training at home

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I think airguns have a role to play in building, and maintaining, one's skills with real firearms.
Not everybody has a membership to an indoor range, and some people may just prefer to do some plinking in their backyards. Certainly it's easier to find a safe and legal place to shoot outdoors if you're using an airgun than a real firearm, although with "CB" rimfire ammo or CCI's new "quiet" round, a .22 rifle can be pretty quiet as well. But even a CB short that only uses a 27 grain bullet at 700 fps will still be dangerous at hundreds of yards distance. Not so for a pellet gun that might shoot a 5-grain pellet at the same initial velocity but which will lose that energy so much faster (like small birdshot loads fired from a shotgun).

One drawback to using airguns for training is that they don't usually feel or operate like real guns, so you'll be building different muscle memory as you load it and cowk it. But presenting the gun to the target, aiming it, and pressing the trigger in a controlled manner usually will be the same as what you'd do with a real gun.

Recently I shot a bowling pin match. I wanted to get in a round of practice with my 9mm pistol before the match. I had not shot that gun much since March of this year. I think I fired it for 15 rounds back in August, making a steel plate ring at 20 yards. That's it from March until now. BUT I COULD NOT GET THE TIME TO SHOOT THAT 9mm before the bowling pin match.

So, instead, I broke out the break-barrel .177 pellet pistol (single shot). Unlike the C02 powered guns that have long and heavy DA trigger pulls, this gun has a single-action trigger pull that is about 5 lbs. Not so different from a modern striker-fired pistol like my Springfield XD-9.

I did a 40-shot practice course aiming at a target that I propped in one corner of my garage, and I did some of my shooting from within the garage, but for the longer shots I stood in the driveway 10 feet outside, shooting into the garage through the open door.

A couple of cardboard boxes stuffed with old rags, worn-out clothes, and stacks of junk mail and catalogs were my backstops. I had one box behind the head area of the human silhouette target, and one box behind the X-ring in the chest-- center of mass.

My practice session went well. I focused on raising the gun from the "high ready" position and getting a quick sight picture (not perfect alignment, but close enough) and shooting within 1 second (estimated; I didn't have a shot timer and the air pistol probably wouldn't even be picked up by the microphone on those shot timers anyway.)

The next day, I took my 9mm to the range and did pretty well with it.

I use a dry fire mag and also a cool fire system. Two different tools but great for firearms training with YOUR GUN YOUR SIGHTS YOUR TRIGGER and felt recoil (with cool fire). Both help in training and can be done anywhere. Started a thread a while back on em. In some ways they are better than an indoor range because you can do so much more realistic situational training and not just punch paper holes

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/a-more-realistic-dry-fire-training-session.1477900/

25ED8AB2-D460-498D-864F-BD01802AB272.jpeg
A6E29837-7B20-4D3B-A379-B89EC4F37D28.jpeg

Pics from air pistol practice.

IMHO, Dryfire is a far better use of ones time. Look at Ben Stoeger’s book Dryfire reloaded. It’s geared toward USPSA but can be applied to any pistol discipline. I’ve made significant, measurable gains in competition with dryfire accounting for 80% of my pracrice.

Dry firing is not as much fun.
It's like riding a stationary bicycle in your garage.
I want to see bullet holes in the target.
Or reactive targets. In the backyard, Dixie cups filled with water lined up on a board between some sawhorses. Balloons taped to a clothesline.

step up. grab yourself a gas blow back airsoft pistol... they have them in just about every make you may carry... they run just like a real gun,the slide cycles,last round hold open,just dont drop the mags on the floor,they may crack..

Hmm... I like that . Gas powered airsoft pistols. Here's a good video of one modeled after a Beretta M9 / M92, and it's also select-fire.

Here's a video showing how to load a CO2 powered air pistol (uses the 12-gram CO2 cylinders) and how to load a "green gas" powered gun using a refill bottle that transfers pressurized gas into the gun's magazine, which has a "fill valve" (thus the mag not only holds the projectiles, but holds the pressurized gas too).

Another excellent video, showing a few different pistols (CO2 w/blowback action, CO2 non-blowback, Green Gas blowback, and electric) at an indoor airsoft range.

NOTE: I don't think these videos make it sufficiently clear, but the "green gas" is actually propane. Or, propane with a bit of lubricant added to keep your gun's internal parts lubed. This propane is NOT, I repeat not, burned or ignited in its use to propel the projectile. It is merely used as stable and inexpensive pressurized gas.

I don't own anything like that.
I do have a Crosman model 1088, which operates like an 8-shot DAO revolver, but it looks like a slightly-smaller scale of a S&W 410.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/12/crosman-1088-part-1/

Back
Top Bottom