• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK 74 Jamming

bhlowery21

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
93   0
Reaction score
Newly built AK74 from a Bulgarian parts kit. Have only fired Hornady ballistic tip through it so far and it didn’t like them at all as it jammed maybe 10 times out of 50 rounds. I’m thinking it is the sharp tip on the end that is causing it. Have some surplus 7n6 I plan on running through it soon. Has anyone else had problems with Hornady 5.45?

...an AK that jams...?
giphy (5).gif

That’s what I thought, looked at some reviews on Hornady 5.45 and I’m not the only one but overall the reviews are pretty good. Maybe it just doesn’t like plastic. If it doesn’t run the surplus perfectly, I’ll know I have a problem. Gonna try to pick up some silver bear as well. Try and stick to the Russian stuff

Post a pic of the inside of the gun with a loaded mag in and bolt carrier out.
The most common feeding problems that I have seen in AKs were caused by an incorrectly installed feed ramp. AK round needs to hit the feed ramp at the specific level, then tip goes inside the barrel, while bottom is still touching the feed ramp. If ramp is too long, tip of the bullet will hit the outside of the barrel, instead of going in.
Edit: another possible reason, if mag catch is too short, bolt might push the ammo out of the magazine before the "fat" part of the case contacts the feed ramp. That will cause ammo to feed at the sharp angle and miss the chamber.

Newly built AK74 from a Bulgarian parts kit. Have only fired Hornady ballistic tip through it so far and it didn’t like them at all as it jammed maybe 10 times out of 50 rounds. I’m thinking it is the sharp tip on the end that is causing it. Have some surplus 7n6 I plan on running through it soon. Has anyone else had problems with Hornady 5.45?
It aint the AK's problem...

Good advice already given above.

Back
Top Bottom