• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK Bolt wear question.

RugerRob

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Any C39V2 owners here? Never really had an interest in AK's until I picked up the C39V2 at GA Gunstore and felt how nice the fit and finish was. Purchased the side optic mount and Holosun Red dot, have about 300 rounds through it. I know the RAS and C39V1 had issues but all gun companies tend to have them crop up and usually are good about fixing them or revising parts in the next generation. I read alot of reviews, watched video's etc and figured I should be fine.

Well found this on the back side of the bolt... I expect wear and it's on the backside of the bolt, there is just a tiny thin chip off this edge with a line. Rifle fires fine, just wondering if it's anything to be concerned about and if so does anyone have good experiences with Century's support.

The receiver and hammer have zero wear marks on the finish anywhere. the rest of the bolt looks pretty good as well.

If it's a non issue I'm cool with that will just keep shooting and keep an eye on it...

IMG_20161231_161533804[1].jpg
IMG_20161231_161220264[1].jpg

Hard to get a good pic of it. but the line on the shiny area is where you can see the raw metal edge from the thin chip that came off that back edge.

IMG_20161231_162035860[1].jpg

The bolt carrier finish hasn't even worn nor have the rails or receiver anywhere. The rest of the bolt wear looks absolutly normal just that little tiny thin spot where the metal flaked off in the photo. If it won't hurt anything on the back side then I'm fine with it as metal on metal does have to break in together. Yes I'm an ak noob never used grease on any of my rifles and with video's of people abusing them running them dry and everything else I just used a little light oil like all my other firearms.

See I usually wipe everything down with oily rag and put a coat of grease on the rails,bolt and where it goes into the carrier haven't had a lot of ware on any of parts! The chip could be from needing more lube? I pretty much lube them like a m1a grease on ware parts had a slr107 bought new cleaned it like describe grease her up and didn't clean it for 500 rnds no ware on bolt

Researched online some AK people use grease others use just oil, some run em through 1k rounds dry no cleaning, so figured wouldn't be an issue. I fired off an email to Century to get there thoughts. I don't think either would cause serious wear issues and it's not bad and I'll keep and eye on it and see what Century has to say about it, just wondering if any other AK ops here have seen minor things like this on their bolts.

Yep, did alot of reading and looking Century has had problems with the bolt carrier finish being rough to due to the sandblaster being turned up high. Issues with soft/brittle metal that is either over treated and flakes and chips or under treated and is too soft. From what I'm reading you can replace the bolt and carrier with polish 1960 bolt/carrier setup to completely resolve the issue but have to make sure when replacing them the headspace is correct for proper function. Couple hundred dollars. Reading some are gtg others have issues and century customer support isn't the greatest with their "Normal Wear" responses. The little I wear I have won't effect head space and isn't effecting the operation of the rifle so like others I'll just monitor wear on the bolt and rifle and if it gets too bad replace the parts and check head spacing. Too bad century doesn't just offer upgraded parts, the receiver, barrel, finish are excellent, they should have given it a good "heart" bolt and carrier to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom