• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK Files....

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know how to get a hold of an Admin on AK Files? My account has not been activated and its been three weeks. I double checked the info I entered and it seems to match what they are looking for. I sent a PM in about a week ago and it is still not activated. I need some help with my AK. Thanks, Mike

OK heres what I am dealing with. About a year ago I put a TWS Gen 3 top cover on my ak. No instructions so after following my youtube bible of info I got it on. The pin that hinges the top cover up and down was a VERY VERY tight fit, as in so tight I had to drive it in with a hammer. I got busy with work and put my project on the back burner until about 3 months ago. I break out an old bushnell TRS 25 and slap on it and head off to the range. I have the TWS peep sight on the rail so as a very rough zero I set the dot to co-witness with the irons. First shot is a foot left at 15 yards. So I thought something was a miss but just kept working at it. I get the optic zeroed in at 25 yards and the Dot is high left on the irons, as in the peep lines up with the tip of the left front sight guard. I start reading online again and see that the iron sight zero can shift when looking through optics, just the nature of the beast. Once again the project gets the back burner until about three weeks ago I decide to finish it up. I ordered the TA50 Acog and slapped on the rail and notice right off that something is not right. The cross under the horse shoe is canted to the left. I take her to the range today and sure enough, same thing as the TRS-25. Off by a foot at 15, off the paper at 25. I have been messing with it for the past hour and I think what the issue is the hole the hinge pin rides in, on the piece that replaces the rear sight, is canted. I can support this with the fact that the when I lifted the top cover, there was a very noticeable difference in the gap between the two pieces that the pin goes in. The left side of the pin was touching the bracket, the right was not. I drive the pin back out and find a couple issues. The pin was burred and wouldn't freely move in its bracket ( the one the pin is made in that bolts to the top cover.) I filed off the burr and smoothed it out with some 1500 grit and its ok, I think. I try to put it back in the hole on the rear sight bracket and it seizes about 1/4 of the way in. I have two options that can think of. First, I am going to email TWS and see what they think and try to talk them out of a two new mounting pieces. The one on the rear sight and the one that bolts to the top cover. My second option and least favorable, is to take my brass punch with some valve grinding compound on, chuck it in a drill and try to slowly open the hold until the pin will slide through as it should.

I am open to all thoughts and suggestions. The rifle sighted in just fine with the factory irons. I know the top cover is not the best route optics, but I feel like it will do the job just fine within the limits of what I want from the rifle. Thanks yall. Mike

I believe the cover itself is in good shape. I could not find a warp or offset of anything wrong with it. The mount is in a bind. Im not really sure how I could shim it. The cover just locks around the recoil spring and hinges on a pin between two pieces. Ill think on that one and see what I can come up with.

Akfiles and Akforum avid member here... When registering at AKfiles be patient and do not email the admin. If you do your submission will be rejected and you get to start the process over.

Back
Top Bottom