• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK- ? For Dummies

Just depends on the budget:
WASR-10 or 10/63 $500-700
MAK90 $650-800 (muzzle often unthreaded fyi, which bugs some people)
Saiga or Arsenal $800-1200
Beyond that you are in Rifle Dynamics (Jim Fuller) or Krebs territory. Stick to the WASR for your first one I'd say.

Nothing tacticool, more of a traditional classic look.
7.62x39 in the first one for sure.
No optics planned. Maybe a reflex sight in the future.
Compact? Lightweight? Whatever a traditional AK is normally will be fine. Definitely not a heavy rifle that would only see a bench, but I'm too old to worry about it being a high speed/low drag operator, so no worries about it being ultralight either.
I like your train of thought on AKs. I would suggest you go to YouTube and check out Robski at the AK Operators Union. He has 5K round tested most of the known makes of AKs available in this country. Ironically one of his favorites is or was one of the cheapest AKs available known as the WASR 10. They werent fancy and certainly not very refined. They kinda looked like they were built by Romanian alcoholics. But they work and work well.

I just picked up a WASR 10 over the weekend at a pawn shop for a good price. It was the only AK in there amongst @ 100 other long guns. I got it for a good price because it had some stupid TAPCO furniture on it. I agree, that the prices are slowly climbing with good choices declining. Been watching the market over the past few years and who knows where this will go in 2-3 years.

The first WASR I shot, I could not put it down. It was so much fun that it became addictive.

WASR 10 is a great place for you to start. Do what you want with it, traditional wood, romy wire side folder, dong or no dong, optic, no optic etc feel out the platform, dont go easy on it. If you dig AKs keep the WASR it will outlast you, if you dont pass it on for the same price or more to someone it will also outlast
Definitely no dongs please. :shocked:

AK Dong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akdong_Musician

Akdong-Musician-singer-Lee-Chan-hyuk-joins-Korean-marines.jpg

Back
Top Bottom