• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK understanding question

Hold the rifle butt stock resting on ground. Tap down on the face of the lower hand guard retainer, making sure the lower hand guard is fully seated in the receiver. Push the lever as far as you can with hand pressure, then tap it home with the nylon hammer. If that doesn't work you will probably need to fit (sand) the lower hand guard to the receiver/lower retainer. That's all I got.
I was told by one to file the metal? I think he didn't like Yugos...

I was told by one to file the metal? I think he didn't like Yugos...
Yeah, don't do that, lol. If you take the lower hand guard off you can see the channel machined in the barrel that the lower retainer lever cams into when you close it. So if the lever won't cam shut, then the lower retainer is not positioned properly over the channel in the barrel. So either the lower hand guard is not seated fully into the receiver OR the front of the hand guard (the part that rests against the face of the lower retainer) needs to be sanded/shortened so the lower retainer is positioned properly for the lever to came into the barrel groove. Most hand guards have to be fitted to receivers/retainers, so you issue isn't unusual at all.

Another note on this locking lever-- The hand guard retainer must be parallel to the notch in the barrel. Just because the handguard is the right length does no mean this lever can not be bothersome sometimes. Try turning the handguard retainer counterclockwise or clockwise to get the lever started ,moving twist, and apply pressure and tap. Tap only.

I like this method also--- With the lower handguard removed practice fitting the retainer and closing the lever. You will see there is a sweet spot. Take a sharp pencil and mark the barrel in front of the retainer. Now place a pencil line down the barrel onto the retainer. This small "t" can be used to find the sweet spot again.

Back
Top Bottom