• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK vs. AR. GUNDERDOME! Two Guns Enter, Only One Will Leave. UPDATE in OP!!!

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
"
Accuracy of an AR-15, reliability of an AK"

I hate that statement.

I plan on putting that statement to rest this weekend.

I will be headed up to Casa de CCW on Sunday to abuse the crap out of a couple of guns.

We will be burying an AK and an AR several different ways and Videoing the results for your ODT viewing pleasure.

Test 1: With loaded mag, empty chamber, safety off and port ejection side up, we will bury both weapons, retireve them, pop open dust covers, shake rifle well and check to make sure the bore is clear with cleaning rod then firing one mag each.

Test 2: With loaded mag, empty chamber, bolt back and port ejection side up, we will bury both weapons, retireve them, remove and shake mags, shake rifle well and check to make sure the bore is clear with cleaning rod then firing one mag each.

Test 3 (Sand): With loaded mag, empty chamber, safety on and port ejection side up, we will bury both weapons in sand, retireve them, pop open dust covers, shake rifle well and check to make sure the bore is clear with cleaning rod then firing one mag each.

Test 4 (Water): With loaded mag, empty chamber, safety on, we will tie a retrieval rope to each weapon, toss it into the lake, retrieve it, pop open dust covers, remove and shake mags, shake rifle well and check to make sure the bore is clear with cleaning rod and then firing one mag each.

I am hoping to put this myth that the AR is unreliable to bed once and for all.

We may also do some 100 yard groups out of one of Chris's milled AKs and my Resse to prove the AK is not a unaccurate weapon. Only problem is Chris has no optics and my eyes suck too bad to shoot 100 yards without magnification. We will see how this turns out. Ammo to be used will be milsurp so I don't expect great results out of either.

Any other tests you all would like to see done while we are abusing our guns?

The guns to be used.

THE AR
Bushmaster 5.56 M4 Carbine.

14.5 inch chrome lined bore with perm attached phantom flash hider
BCM M16 BCG
YHM Freefloat quad rail carbine handguards.
Matech 200-600 meter buis
For the testing the gun will be without optics and other attachments.

[Broken External Image]:

The AK
Stamped Norinco MAK 90
[Broken External Image]:

The fun will begin around 2PM

B.Byrd will be running camera for us

The camera will be a Sony HD camera on a tripod.

Post Production editing with be done on my Mac using Final Cut Pro

Final Video will be uploaded to YouTube and posted here.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Sons of Guns episode haha. Good idea though I will be waiting for the video, it could be a "game changer". All joking aside I am pulling for the AR.

Back
Top Bottom