• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK, Wolf ammo, iron sights 500y ? All day

If 7 out of 10 shots hit a big steel target (looks about 30" tall by 20" wide to me) at 500 yards, I'm guessing that would mean that all 10 shots would have fit in a 36" wide circle.

If he were getting 7 m.o.a. performance (7" groups at 100 yards), then it would be reasonable to expect a 36" to one-yard wide group (again, for 10 shots, not just 3 or 5) at 500 yards. Assuming the sight elevation was set properly for that drop.

Yeah, that should be do-able with most AK type guns.
I've never been able to get 10-shot groups down to 7" with any AK that I've owned. SKS, yes, but the best AK I had would barely keep them in a paper plate-- about 9 inches.

I agree that people should test their guns at longer ranges, and make a note of how that works and what sight settings they need to get zeroed. Don't trust the markings on the rear sight itself, until you confirm in the real-world.

I regularly ran my Arsenal Inc out to 400yds with no issues, using Tula ammo. Target was a steel IPSC silhouette.
I wish i could say I’ve had the opportunity to do the same. When my RPK comes back from 2 Rivers id like to get a chance to really take my time and stretch it out.
Ive got an SLR 107fr as well

I was ready to jump all over this video, but I like what he says about pushing yourself and the fact is that a lot of slightly above average accuracy AKs do have this level of accuracy if the shooter does his job. With that said, the same level of skill with a somewhat above average accuracy AR will put 9 of 10 rounds into the head at 500 yards. A good marksman with a good AR can make consistent head shots at 600 yards.

I was ready to jump all over this video, but I like what he says about pushing yourself and the fact is that a lot of slightly above average accuracy AKs do have this level of accuracy if the shooter does his job. With that said, the same level of skill with a somewhat above average accuracy AR will put 9 of 10 rounds into the head at 500 yards. A good marksman with a good AR can make consistent head shots at 600 yards.
Yep the point of me posting this was just to reiterate the fact that most of us just say “my ak is a 300y weapon”....why? Because you’ve never tried to shoot farther? He states “is this the best weapon for this type of shooting? Hell no!” And he’s right! But the fact that we’re settling is a problem, and not constantly trying to do better and push ourselves and our weapons farther. Just some motivation to get out on the line and start seeing what your AK and you can really do!

If you HAD to try for a 400/500y shot you’d be more likely to succeed having pushed yourself in a comfortable environment prior to going for the shot for the first time when it really matters.

And if nothing else it’s fun :becky:

Aiming 10+ feet above the target is like play golf with a 7 iron. I wonder how many shots he took to get dialed in . I have shot real Russian AK’s and to hit something at 200 was like aiming high and right Giving a whole new meaning to the term Kentucky windage.

as said earlier as long as he zerod correctly the slider would do all the work he needed. while never shooting at this range i've had very good luck with the slider at 200-250

as said earlier as long as he zerod correctly the slider would do all the work he needed. while never shooting at this range i've had very good luck with the slider at 200-250
Or using the 200 and 300 chevrons in the POSP scope built for the caliber. If it is properly zeroed in at 100 meters, 200 and 300 meter chevrons are right on.

Back
Top Bottom