• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK, Wolf ammo, iron sights 500y ? All day

Or using the 200 and 300 chevrons in the POSP scope built for the caliber. If it is properly zeroed in at 100 meters, 200 and 300 meter chevrons are right on.

honestly never had a chance to use a POSP but always wanted to, they just give it "the look"

Love mine. Retains zero, when I take it off during cleaning. Nitrogen purged, lit recticle, common watch batteries. Built like a tank.

A lot of y’all won’t believe this, you had to be there to see it. I’ve got a good buddy I work with, happens to be a former Marine as well. He’s got an AK with an underfolder stock, I can’t remember exactly what make/model, but it’s one of the relatively inexpensive ones. Totally stock with factory iron sights.

We were shooting at the Elk River Training Center in Pelham TN over a very rainy weekend. This was before they had completed their massive, and very effective, drainage program. We showed up to the range on Sunday morning and there was now a small pond downrange, encompassing the 900yd steel target. IIRC, the target was in the neighborhood of 24”x36”. The bottom half of the target was submerged.

With me spotting, my buddy starts shooting at the 900yd target with his AK. It was super easy to spot the misses because of all the water down range. I started calling corrections and he walked the rounds onto target, using Kentucky windage and Tennessee elevation. He proceeded to ring the steel multiple times.

AK is more accurate than people give a credit for. Is it a best tool for 600 or 900 yard shots? Absolutely not! But never is 5.56 NATO, too much energy is lost downrange for a reliable kill. ;)
That's why we have the M1Garand, for us, the simple folk :-)

I can afford to stock up on only so many calibers. If 6.5 Grendel was as cheap as 7.62x39, I would have picked that. Or if it was around before I invested in 7.62x39.

AK is more accurate than people give a credit for. Is it a best tool for 600 or 900 yard shots? Absolutely not! But never is 5.56 NATO, too much energy is lost downrange for a reliable kill. ;)
That's why we have the M1Garand, for us, the simple folk :-)

I can afford to stock up on only so many calibers. If 6.5 Grendel was as cheap as 7.62x39, I would have picked that. Or if it was around before I invested in 7.62x39.
Not enough energy for a reliable immediate stop, which you probably don't need when the enemy is 600 yards away. Plenty for a reliable kill. That round is still supersonic, after all.

Its like shooting a 30/30 at 500 yards. It is possible once zeroed and with a good shooter, but probably not the best option, unless there is no other option.

I've never shot my AK's past 300, and I've only shot at 300 very few times. I was minute of man, though, once I found my range.

I love AK's.

Not enough energy for a reliable immediate stop, which you probably don't need when the enemy is 600 yards away. Plenty for a reliable kill. That round is still supersonic, after all.
SS109 out of M4 length barrels? Or even M855/M855A1? I very much doubt the claim it is capable of a reliable kill at 600 yards.
If it was, we would not have needed to use M14 in Afganistan.

SS109 out of M4 length barrels? Or even M855/M855A1? I very much doubt the claim it is capable of a reliable kill at 600 yards.
If it was, we would not have needed to use M14 in Afganistan.
The only way it would not kill when hitting a vital area is if it failed to penetrate. Even if the bullet is only travelling about 800fps (which is much slower that it actually would be), it's going to penetrate. If you punch a hole through the heat/lung area that person will die unless they get good and pretty immediate medical care. As I said, it won't make a reliable fast stop, but it's still a killer.

The 7.62x51 is much more resistant to wind, has greater stopping power and will stay supersonic at greater distance than the 5.56. That's why it's preferred for longer range work. That does not mean the 5.56 isn't capable.

Back
Top Bottom