• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK47's Where do you start with them? WASR?

I have an N-pap. It's really nice. Runs excellent. Fit and finish are nice. That being said. I would rather have a nice wasr for the simple fact that it easier to find accessories. Stocks, sight rail mounts, and handgaurds are non standard. Unless you want to spend the money on a nice converted molot I would look no farther than a good example of a wasr.

WASR is cheap and a great starter gun, but it will not take it out to 300 yards. I routinely do it with a Vepr. It has a thicker 20" barrel and thicker RPK based receiver. Next choice would be Arsenals and Saigas. That what I stick to in my AK herd.
WASR has a chrome lined bore,which, in my opinion, is a must when shooting bimetal jacketed ammo (which all of bulk AK ammo is).
Yugos do not have chrome line bores. Yugoslavia does not have local chrome deposits and comrade Tito did not want to rely on imports.
I like the side rail/lastochkin khvost mount on AK. It retains the zero. Chinese guns that I have seen do not have it, and that, as well as high prices kept me away from Chicom AKs. Vepr is a better gun for less money.

Edit, stay away from IO, PSA, either version. They are all crap.

It isnt so much which rifle you go with, rather the build quality. Cheap AKs are gonna be cheaply built. Ugly rivets, canted sights/gas tubes/sight blocks, etc. Some rifles can be canted to the point that you can't zero the irons. Some companies cut corners and dont use appropriate rivets, or pin the barrell correctly and these can lead to catastrophic failures.

Century WASRs are of the more common budget AKs. Some are straight as an arrow, some are crooked as piss, but they are generally OK build quality. Centurys Yugos, Polish, Serb builds are generally good to go as well.
Avoid US made AKs. Most US made truniuns/bolts/carriers are cast rather than forgings, and no where near as durable.
Century's C39s, RAS and Palmetta State AKs are a few to be avoided.

Arsenal is generally a good choice for quality. Properly converted Saigas are top notch.
There are a ton of small time builders that do exceptional work.

Every imported AK is demilled and recieved as a parts kit then reassembled here with a US reciever, and usually a US trigger group, and furniture, sometimws US barrels also. Some parts kits are better than others. Russian, bulgarian, east german are arguably top quality, followed by polish, chinese, yugoslavian, egyptian, romanian etc.

WASR is cheap, but you will not take it out to 300 yards. I routinely do it with a Vepr. It has a thicker 20" barrel and thicker RPK based receiver. Next choice would be Arsenals and Saigas. That what I stick to in my AK herd.
WASR has a chrome lined bore,which, in my opinion, is a must when shooting bimetal jacketed (which all of bulk AK ammo is).
Yugos do not. Yugoslavia does not have local chrome deposits and comrade Tito did not want to rely on imports.
I like the side rail/lastochkin khvost mounton AK. It retains the zero. Chinese guns I have seen do not have, and that as well as high prices kept me away from Chicom AKs. Vepr is a better gun for less money.
That's a great review, and follows the line of thought I've been reading for the last year on these threads.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I just felt like dumping this picture of my AMD65 somewhere
IMG_20170518_155454.jpg

I drooled over the AMD at the classic Arms, but it did not say if the US made barrel is chrome-lined. I hate the wire stock, too. Is yours a folder? How do you like it?
I did not mention Hungarians in my post, since I do not have first-hand experience with them, but they can be very good guns, depending on the builder.

I drooled over the AMD at the classic Arms, but it did not say if the US made barrel is chrome-lined. I hate the wire stock, too. Is yours a folder? How do you like it?
I did not mention Hungarians in my post, since I do not have first-hand experience with them, but they can be very good guns, depending on the builder.

Classic has been selling those AMDs for many months. General consensus is the barrel is soft/crap but is a decent value.

Remember when they were 199?....lol
I remember when SAR1s were $150 and you could pick up a Saiga for $300, converted for $400. I splurged by getting a converted RobArms Vepr for $599.
As always, wish I have stocked up. If Trump ends the stupid ban on Saigas, I will get a new safe and fill it up with AKs for my kids and grandkids.

Back
Top Bottom