• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alaska Handgun Recommendations

Skillzaw

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
77   0
Reaction score
Ive got a brother in law that's heading to Alaska on a hunting trip. He would like some ideas on a handgun to take with him. His budget is wide open and prefers a semi auto. Please give me some ideas on what you think. Thanks!

I carry a glock 20 gen 4 in diamond d custom holster with extra mag. I also carry 44mag 629 stainless s&w in same holster setup in heavy bear areas. I Always carry bear loads in both. I like the glock best, light,powerful yet very controllable. You'll need a pistol chest rig, and rubber/neoprene boots because your going to get wet likely.

What's he going to hunt, you know which area?

Last edited:
I carry a glock 20 gen 4 in diamond d custom holster with extra mag. I also carry 44mag 629 stainless s&w in same holster setup in heavy bear areas. I Always carry bear loads in both. I like the glock best, light,powerful yet very controllable. You'll need a pistol chest rig, and rubber/neoprene boots because your going to get wet likely.

What's he going to hunt, you know which area?

He's hunting moose and bear. I'll find out what area he's going to.

My standard advice for this question... Just tell him to wear a bear bell so he'll be easier to find inside the bear that's eaten him. ;)

But every guide I ever travelled with in Alaska carried a 12 gauge. If he's going handgun, look at one of the big bore revolvers mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom