• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alatoona Boat Fishing?

Get my line wet for the first time in a few years?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Fish Tacos!

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

shootsacanon

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
127   0
Reaction score
I haven't fished since high school, 20+ years ago, but we're planning on renting a boat on Alatoona for an afternoon soon (4 hour rental). Really just planning on a hang-out with family, etc., but I thought it might be fun to fish a little with the kids.

So I'm wondering, is it worth it to pack a rod? What would I be fishing for there, and is that water safe to eat from, or better to catch and release? Suggested lures or bait?

It will be my first time driving a boat, so I'm up for any advice with that as well.

Picture of how I see myself fishing:

Fishing.jpg

Random fishing you won't have much luck on that lake. But get you some minnows and maybe a few worms. Use small to medium hooks. You'll need to put a little weight on the line. Find you some tree tops in the water off the main channel that still have foliage on them. You might catch some crappie of bream. Early or late is better. At night get you some lights to hang over the water. You may get hung up on limbs, but that's part of it. Be sure to have extra hooks and weight. Make sure the kids at least wear a life jacket. Good luck

Agree with above. With children definitely go live bait and light tackle. Shade areas with structure maybe around some boat docks or trees in water. Keep motor lanyard clipped to you while under way and just enjoy

Just a FYI:

Boated on Allatoona and Lanier most my life and through the years have bailed out several first timer friends over the years. If you are not familiar with the lake, it is "Very" easy to get lost on the lake. From the lake the shoreline starts to look all the same. Take or printout a lake map with you and notice the directional indicators.

Also "PDF", Personal Flotation Device which is a fancy word for life jacket is required on all children under the age of 13 while the boat is moving. You can get a citation from the DNR for this. When the boat is anchored you can take them off.

Have fun and enjoy....that's the important part!

Your kids and wife weren't interested in you fishing were they? How'd it go? Responding from tag in another post. Hope you had a great day anyway. Sorry about you not fishing.

Your kids and wife weren't interested in you fishing were they? How'd it go? Responding from tag in another post. Hope you had a great day anyway. Sorry about you not fishing.
We’re actually going this coming weekend, so I’m still up for input!

Probably will take a couple poles for the kids just for the experience.

Back
Top Bottom