• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alcoholism what to do?

300_whisper

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
92   0
Reaction score
I have friend of 22 years who’s an alcoholic. Like has hit rock bottom and is still falling. How do you get them help? I tried calling AA and talking him into going to a doctor or shrink. But no luck. I only asked advice here because friends and family’s advice isn’t working, and he won’t listen to me. You can PM me. Thanks.

I have friend of 22 years who’s an alcoholic. Like has hit rock bottom and is still falling. How do you get them help? I tried calling AA and talking him into going to a doctor or shrink. But no luck. I only asked advice here because friends and family’s advice isn’t working, and he won’t listen to me. You can PM me. Thanks.

You can't. I had 2 friends with addiction issues that got worse with time. I beat my head against a wall trying to help them. Until the addict wants help there is nothing you can do.

This sounds messed up, but nothing is going to help him till he is ready to help himself. Maybe he will catch a charge somewhere down the line that he will get locked up and clean up. Sorry for your friendship .

You can't. I had 2 friends with addiction issues that got worse with time. I beat my head against a wall trying to help them. Until the addict wants help there is nothing you can do.
This^^^^ Something big has to happen or they make their mind up. You could try reminding him who he was and/or who he could be without it. Praying

I am an alcoholic. Sober since 2012 THANKS GOD.

Your friend CANNOT be helped until he wants to be. I practiced drinking for many years and never quite got it right. Some people can drink. I cannot. It was so bad I would drink a fifth every night. Straightup. Drink till I passed out and my hands shook the next day.

ALCOHOL cost me A LOT. My marriage, my DL several times, never mind the fines and the fees.

I was referred to an outpatient treatment program that centered on IVs for brain health. I believe it helped. AA helped as much or more afterwards. Only another addict understands an addict. Just as I believe you don't understand the homeless until you are.

SO, one day at a time. Pray for your friend. Lift him up to GOD who knows our thoughts.

I will pray for him as well. Call on him daily and make sure he has local AA phone numbers. There are meetings all day long in the ATL.

PM me anytime. He can call me anytime if he wants someone to talk to. BUT, the decision is his.

Everyone has said the truth sadly. Only the person suffering can want the change. I am recovered alcoholic and it took alot of bad for me to wake up and want change. It was not easy and addiction manifest in other areas of life for those who have the personality imho and from my expierence. Just be there and let them know you are there when they want help.

Back
Top Bottom