• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

All these "what makes this sound?" threads got me to remembering....

I got in my stand one morning about an hour before daybreak hoping to bust an 8 pointer I’d seen about a week earlier, about 15 minutes before sunrise I started getting really sleepy and started to nod off. Outta nowhere all of a sudden it sounds like a buncha helicopters were taking off all around me, I literally almost jumped outta my stand! Turns out a buncha damn turkeys had roosted in the tree above and next to me, those jokers can be loud as hell coming off roost. Sounded like 100 of em’ but there was probably more like 10-15. Scared the bejeebers out of me though. Lol!

Spooks and haints? Try camping out near the Horton House on Jekyll. I damned near ditched Boy Scouts after that night.

View attachment 3374752

We were right across the street from the Dubignon graves near Horton House.
407_1280x851_e6435a20-5056-a36a-0bd79a9c376455fe.jpg
Can’t hardly beat the old Colonial Cemetery in Savannah after dark for wandering haints.
I did work one summer on the grounds crew at Ft. Pulaski between Savannah and Tybee.
We always had tourists come tell us what they had seen/felt/heard while exploring the property.
Consistently the same stories, and the same things we had all experienced occasionally.
The Commandants office: reports of walking in and momentarily glimpsing a figure in a Confederate officer’s uniform sitting at the desk.
The old hospital ward: shadowy figures and moaning sounds which randomly occurred and disappeared.
The powder magazine: entering it and feeling something brush by them, accompanied by a sudden drop in temperature which quickly was gone.

Can’t hardly beat the old Colonial Cemetery in Savannah after dark for wandering haints.
I did work one summer on the grounds crew at Ft. Pulaski between Savannah and Tybee.
We always had tourists come tell us what they had seen/felt/heard while exploring the property.
Consistently the same stories, and the same things we had all experienced occasionally.
The Commandants office: reports of walking in and momentarily glimpsing a figure in a Confederate officer’s uniform sitting at the desk.
The old hospital ward: shadowy figures and moaning sounds which randomly occurred and disappeared.
The powder magazine: entering it and feeling something brush by them, accompanied by a sudden drop in temperature which quickly was gone.
The powder magazine was spooky as Hell. And cold.

an incident up in Travelers Rest, SC about 30 years ago, around Midnight, at a campsite on my FIL's gun range. We weren't drinking, smoking or anything like that, just sitting around a dying campfire about to turn in for the night for a day's shooting the next. Suddenly, we heard whooshing sounds like wings flapping.....BIG wings...... A very large animal was silhouetted against the stars visible through the trees, moving in a Northerly direction and limbs from the pine trees under which we were camped started cracking and raining down on and around us. Some of the limbs were as big around as a shotgun barrel and long or longer. A lot of limbs. It made a screeching howl sound that froze the blood in your veins. I've never heard anything like it before or since.

Needless to say, not one person (5 of us) slept a wink all the rest of the night. I know I was staring up at the sky through the tree tops as wide-eyed as Barney Fife in the Haunted House episode, twitching at every little sound.

Anyone else heard or saw something while hunting or camping that didn't seem normal or may have been "otherwordly?"

Not counting the nekkid dude on @araomd 's land with the alien PVC vent pipes sticking out of the ground.
I want to hear the PVC pipe story!

True story.
In a previous incarnation I worked as a supervisor for a company that worked on a lot of antebellum homes and plantations doing restoration work.
There was one job that stands out. Antebellum home that during Sherman's March was spared the torch because the owner and the war criminal where both Masons. They did their secret ring knock and everything was compesthic.
The home saw a lot of action both during the battle and afterwards as a hospital.
Nobody and I mean nobody wanted to be there after dark.
The paper guys where from England and had worked on Buckingham Palace during it's restoration and they flat out refused to be there after the sun went down, bad juju.
One day I was there looking at a flooring problem and was down on my knees inspecting the damage and a door in the next room over shut itself, it didn't slam it just kind of closed. No wind, internal room and no one else in the building. Needless to say it was a little more than disconcerting. I finished my business and made a strategic withdrawal.
After that I made it a point of wishing the house ghosts a good morning upon my arrival.

Back
Top Bottom