• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alright you AK guys.....

IMG_0585.JPG

Sar-1, I regret selling it but I had to :(

My collection needs one. What's the best, highest quality AK you can get for the money. I know AR's, but not AK's, so educate me. I've been told to stay away from WASR's or whatever they're called. I've been told to stick with a Polish milled AK from Atlantic Firearms. I would want one completely original with the wood stock and all. Thoughts?
Here are my thoughts, which only extend to my own personal experience
1) There is nothing wrong with the newer production WASR 10/63's. They are a lot nicer than they used to be, have forged trunions, forged bolt, and chrome lined barrels. Basically THE standard AKM pattern. In comparison, the RAS47 has cast trunions, cast bolt, and barrel is not chrome lined. It's a much more cheaply made gun, yet the price is pretty close to a WASR.
2) Polish milled AK is pretty generic. If it's a Polish barrel on the rifle and not a US made barrel, it could be pretty decent. Builder info is pretty important. Even though Polish parts are generally pretty good quality, it won't matter if the parts are slapped together by a blind drunk. Another thing to keep in mind is that a milled receiver is going to be a bit heavier than a stamped receiver. Not sure if you are going to be carrying the rifle around a lot, but it can make a difference.
3) One of the nicest AKs I had was an Arsenal SAM-7. If I had the coin, I would scoop up an SLR-107. You can always add wood furniture to the rifle later. They're nice rifles built off of imported Bulgarian parts. I understand the Norinco AKs are also excellent if your budget is a little tighter.
4) VZ58 is not an AK, but it's pretty awesome. Worth checking out.

Here are my thoughts, which only extend to my own personal experience
1) There is nothing wrong with the newer production WASR 10/63's. They are a lot nicer than they used to be, have forged trunions, forged bolt, and chrome lined barrels. Basically THE standard AKM pattern. In comparison, the RAS47 has cast trunions, cast bolt, and barrel is not chrome lined. It's a much more cheaply made gun, yet the price is pretty close to a WASR.
2) Polish milled AK is pretty generic. If it's a Polish barrel on the rifle and not a US made barrel, it could be pretty decent. Builder info is pretty important. Even though Polish parts are generally pretty good quality, it won't matter if the parts are slapped together by a blind drunk. Another thing to keep in mind is that a milled receiver is going to be a bit heavier than a stamped receiver. Not sure if you are going to be carrying the rifle around a lot, but it can make a difference.
3) One of the nicest AKs I had was an Arsenal SAM-7. If I had the coin, I would scoop up an SLR-107. You can always add wood furniture to the rifle later. They're nice rifles built off of imported Bulgarian parts. I understand the Norinco AKs are also excellent if your budget is a little tighter.
4) VZ58 is not an AK, but it's pretty awesome. Worth checking out.

Great info! Thank you!

If you are goin for a collection piece, you need an in the box norinco of some flavor. You want a shooter, nothing wrong with a WASR. Stay away from the American guns. Want a better shooter, VEPR ( aftermarket parts can be more challenging to locate.) Arsenal makes a very fine rifle with the exception of the trigger.

Vepr, Arsenal, Saiga. More expensive than WASR. But more accurate.
With the recent ban on Vepr and earlier ban on Saigas, Arsenal SLR 107fr is what I would buy. Milled SAM series Arsenals are nice, but I do not feel that added weight of the milled receiver is worth it. Veprs have a thicker stamped receiver, but they also have a thicker barrel to take advandage of that receiver.
I do like chrome lined barrels. Easier to clean and last longer than nonchromed Yugo barrels. AK bullets are normally copper washed soft steel bullets, so they wear down barrels faster. My guns will go to my kids, so I want them to last for as long as possible.

OP, you coming to M&G in Woodstock? I could bring a few AK for you to look at. None are for sale. :D

My collection needs one. What's the best, highest quality AK you can get for the money. I know AR's, but not AK's, so educate me. I've been told to stay away from WASR's or whatever they're called. I've been told to stick with a Polish milled AK from Atlantic Firearms. I would want one completely original with the wood stock and all. Thoughts?

Wasr

Back
Top Bottom