• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Always assume it's loaded

gamadmex4502

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
So I met up with a young guy in the military tonight to trade him a rifle for his M&P 45. While checking the function. wouldn't you know it but a round ejects from the chamber, which explains why it felt so heavy when I picked it up. I ejected the loaded mag and we went on with our trade. Near disaster averted at RaceTrac.

Whatever happened to the practice of only handy over a cleared weapon with the chamber open? If someone tries to hand me a weapon this has not been done to, I'll ask them to make it that way before I'll accept it. Unless, of course, they are an idiot and it's safer to get it out of their hands as soon as possible.

Whatever happened to the practice of only handy over a cleared weapon with the chamber open? If someone tries to hand me a weapon this has not been done to, I'll ask them to make it that way before I'll accept it. Unless, of course, they are an idiot and it's safer to get it out of their hands as soon as possible.

Working behind the gun counter at Academy you see a lot. An old man brought in his fave 1911 to shop for a holster. Of course, cocked and locked. We were standing at the counter and he proceeds to pull out his 45 and attempt to unload it, all while his hands were shaking enough to thoroughly stir a fresh pack of cocoa into a hot cup of water. I, very politely and with rapidity, asked him if I could give a hand. Fortunately he obliged and I got the cocked and locked 45 out of his shaky old hands and cleared it for him. It was a very tense moment, for sure.

This, I always clear and leave the action open.

Back
Top Bottom